Metabolism TOO FAST

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Lost247
    Participant

My son has been on practically everything. Currently his “cocktail” is a strict regime of multiple prescriptions. But no matter what medicine he always ends up on an INSANELY high dose. 12 hour meds end up being 4-5 hours with boosters and clonidine…I’m so tired of medicine. But his symptoms are too severe not to have it. Anybody else have this problem? Is there something I’m missing? Metabolism problems? Possible endocrine problems? Please tell me I’m not the only one with this problem😓

eliz2112
    Participant

Same here, my son is on several meds, all high dose. He metabolizes them quickly. We’ve tried taking med breaks, but that’s just not possible in our household. I asked the doc about it, and he didn’t really know… He just said that some kids burn thru the meds quicker.

Lost247
      Participant

I wish I could ask you how much your kid is on, but I don’t even want to admit how much my kid is on😓

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

This article has some helpful insights on burn rate and ADHD medications:

Is Burn Rate Making Your ADHD Medications Less Effective?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.