meds not working – please help

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD meds not working – please help

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Vortigern
      Participant

Hi

I was diagnosed over 2 years ago with ADHD (I’m a 34yo male) and have been treated since then with methylphenidate – I am now on 65mg slow release.

They’re just not working for me other than making me a bit agitated when I first take them. The doctor said it was the clearest case of Adult ADHD he had seen, and I am 100% confident in the diagnosis, but devastated that the medication that is effective for so many people doesn’t seem to have an effect on me. It’s ruining my life and I’m a starting to get really down about it.

Has anyone had any experience of Methylphenedate not working for them, but other medication being effective?

Thanks in advance.

got2be
      Participant

You need to experiment with different dosages. I didn’t notice any effect from a small dose of Concerta. With a higher dose, my mood and concentration levels greatly improved. I tried generic Concerta, and needed a higher dosage. That same dose of name-brand Concerta was too high and I felt agitated. It takes more effort, but you need to know who’s manufacturing your generics, search online to see which manufacturers other ADD’ers have success with, and find a pharmacy that sells that brand. When I lived in Arizona, I was lucky and found one Walgreens location that would only stock the generic Concerta made by a specific manufacturer. I don’t remember the name of the manufacturer now, but my father found the same name in a Google search, agreeing with that Walgreens about the best generic. I’ve recently tried Vyvanse, and it is a bit different. My doctor had me try a small dose for a week, then raised the dose every five days until we found a level I was comfortable with. He said too low a dose can actually make you feel worse. Vyvanse can be opened up and sprinkled into water to cut the dose in half. Concerta cannot. Point is, you need to try different brands and a range of doses. You may need to try different doctors, too. I know it’s a lot of work, but good results are worth it. I’ve also read about people taking a small amount of Clonazipam with their stimulant. I’m trying that now because I need the stimulant, but I feel a bit jumpy.

terrymitchell1963
      Participant

Hi! I was diagnosed at 54 and started with addoral time released 20 mg also known as d amphetamine salt. My daughter was diagnosed at 19 after I found out and we both lost weight as as the only side effect. We were lucky that the first Med we tried worked. Please keep trying as there are many choices and you will find one that works for u and the correct dosage. Hang in there, it will be worth it!

jswest73
      Participant

I’ve been on Concerta XL for years and it has it’s ups and downs. For me it all depends on whats going on with outside factors like home and work. At the moment I really feel it’s doing more harm than good asmy head is all over the place (probably stress with work), yet my family tell me they do work as I’m a pain in the nether regions when I don’t have them. I’m thinking I may need to switch meds or go it alone (if my partner will let me….not) and try a more natural route.

srhayton
      Participant

Did you ever try one of the amphetamine based drugs like adderall?
      It’s not uncommon for people to respond well to an amphetamine but not methylphenidate, or vice versa.
      Have you talked to your doctor about the drugs not working?
      Did they ever work, but the effects seem to have worn off?
      Have you tried higher doses, but the side effects are too much?
      Depending on the answers, your doctor may try different strategies with you, including a higher dose, a different dosing pattern, or a different drug altogether.

If the stimulants don’t work, there are some of the non-stimulants to consider.

There are options out there. Your doctor should work with you to find a treatment regimen that works for you. ADDitude has a lot of articles that emphasize that the first drug you try will rarely be the right one, and you need to be prepared to try again and again until you find something that works. But by all accounts, the work is worth it. I’m currently in the “trying different things to find what works” part, so I know how frustrating it can be. Don’t give up thinking that just because this drug regimen doesn’t work for you that NO drug regimen will work for you.

Good luck!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

All the stimulant medications used to treat ADHD are different — not doing well with one does NOT mean you won’t do well with any of them. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. With that in mind, talk to your doctor about the possibility of trying something else.

Here’s a great primer on ADHD medication and discovering the right medication and dose for you:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Santosh
      Participant

Hello , am diagnosed with ADHD, started with CONCERTA 18mg since yesterday. If this drug does not fit me what would be the symptoms. What alternative would doctor prescribe me? Will it be adderall? Im aware that it’s not available in India, there’s a non stimulant called Atomoxetine. I’m not interested to take atomoxetine. I needed the stimulants kind of meds.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

This article will help you know if the medication is working for you:

Free Resource: How Do We Know the Medication Is Working?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.