Meds and Afib? what will I take that will work?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Meds and Afib? what will I take that will work?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  klt316 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Barbf
    Participant

Hi,new here, newly (officially) diagnosed 58 year old woman. Always assumed AD/HD, because my son has it bad-he’s grown-etc etc. Irony, I am a therapist and one of my jobs is testing adults for AD/HD with the TOVA. Anyway, in the spring I went to a diet doctor and got diet pills for a few months and boy was that an eye opener!!! mild stimulant, a whole different brain. so I got myself tested, and surprise, not, I have it in spades, toddled off to my doc and she prescribed Adderoll. In between going off the diet pill, and getting the Dx, I developed A-fib and had to have my heart shocked back into rhythm.

A day after picking up the meds, my doc calls and says, “wait don’t take it!, we need to check with your cardiologist.” So of course I took it. and loved it. for two days. heaven. And they called me and said the cardiologist says I can’t have stimulants. 🙁 FFFFFFFFFF

Now what? Does anything else actually work?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There are non-stimulant treatments that may help you.

Straterra and Intuniv are the most common.

Strattera: ADHD Medication FAQ

Intuniv: Answers to Your ADHD Medication Questions

Although Wellbutrin is also used quite often when a patient doesn’t do well with stimulants.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Barbf
    Participant

Yes, thank you for that I have read about alternatives. I’m hoping that someone has personal experience with doing well on stimulants and being taken off for heart health.

klt316
    Participant

I know this is an old post, but I am also 50ish and have been on Adderall for years… developed AFIB… so no more Adderall! While we’re dealing with the AFIB, I’m really really struggling with focus… I mentioned the non-amphetamine drugs to my primary care physician and will be meeting him to discuss further… has anyone in a similar situation with AFIB had any luck with Strattera or the like? Thanks! – KLT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.