Meds and Afib? what will I take that will work?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Meds and Afib? what will I take that will work?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Barbf 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Barbf
    Participant

Hi,new here, newly (officially) diagnosed 58 year old woman. Always assumed AD/HD, because my son has it bad-he’s grown-etc etc. Irony, I am a therapist and one of my jobs is testing adults for AD/HD with the TOVA. Anyway, in the spring I went to a diet doctor and got diet pills for a few months and boy was that an eye opener!!! mild stimulant, a whole different brain. so I got myself tested, and surprise, not, I have it in spades, toddled off to my doc and she prescribed Adderoll. In between going off the diet pill, and getting the Dx, I developed A-fib and had to have my heart shocked back into rhythm.

A day after picking up the meds, my doc calls and says, “wait don’t take it!, we need to check with your cardiologist.” So of course I took it. and loved it. for two days. heaven. And they called me and said the cardiologist says I can’t have stimulants. 🙁 FFFFFFFFFF

Now what? Does anything else actually work?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There are non-stimulant treatments that may help you.

Straterra and Intuniv are the most common.

Strattera: ADHD Medication FAQ

Intuniv: Answers to Your ADHD Medication Questions

Although Wellbutrin is also used quite often when a patient doesn’t do well with stimulants.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Barbf
    Participant

Yes, thank you for that I have read about alternatives. I’m hoping that someone has personal experience with doing well on stimulants and being taken off for heart health.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.