Medications that can be given in 2 doses to help with afternoon struggles

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Medications that can be given in 2 doses to help with afternoon struggles

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

ddt1981
    Participant

Just curious what parents are using for the children that is a 2 dose medication? He is groggy in the morning, hard to get going and more hyper/ distracted in the afternoon.

My doctor has my son on Concerta 32 and its not working well.
    He said that we would have to go to a different medication if it is given in 2 doses (ie. one in morning, one in afternoon)

any input greatly appreciated. will be discussing in a meeting with our doctor tomorrow.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  ddt1981.

rex-rex
    Participant

struggling with medication for son.
    we are using vyvance. great medicine. we give in the morning after breakfast. lasts until night. one child eats at supper time and goes to sleep at a decent time. second child does not eat enough and does not sleep enough resulting from the medicine.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

The doctor is saying that he or she will switch him to a short-acting medication if you want 2 doses. What you are probably wanting is to keep the long-acting medication and add a short-acting “booster” dose in the afternoons. That is very common.

The ADHD Witching Hour: Surviving the After-School Medication Crash

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ddt1981
      Participant

Thank you! Our pediatrician gave me the indication that a booster was not an option for us. He may have been concerned with his low weight, he is 49 inches and 58lbs now, so hopefully that will be an option for us. he gained since we last saw him.

can they do a booster of methylphenidate? and stay on the same drug. He seems to have done better at school on the 27 mg rather then the 36mg. the 36 lasts longer, but does not help him any more and is actually worse during school.

I’m going to request a 27 mg and a booster for the afternoon, crossing fingers he will do something of that sort.

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

It won’t be 27 mg, as short-acting comes in different dosages and 27 mg is Concerta, time-release. Often it’s 5mg of Ritalin or something like that.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

ConrJakesMom
    Participant

We have such a hard time with meds. My son has a very fast metabolism bc there is no medication that lasts longer than 5 hours. He gets 2 doses of Vyvanse. 50mg around 7 along with Clonadine to help with his Hyperactivity. He gets another 40mg around 1-1:30. Again, doesn’t last long bc homework around 4 is impossible.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.