medications ADHD and anxiety, OCD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child medications ADHD and anxiety, OCD

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jac64
      Participant

adderrall worked really well for improving concentration and motivation, but caused some increase in obsessive thoughts and feeling jittery.

Does anyone have experience with this constellation of symptoms and stratterra?

Does a stimulant necessarily make these symptoms worse? I have read that people feel that their anxiety was lessened because they had more control over their thoughts on a stimulant.

I know everyone is different in their medication responses, but I am just wondering about some general experiences with these conditions and medication options to consider and speak to the doctor about. We cannot get regular follow-up from a psychiatrist.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Stimulants can increase anxiety and exacerbate those behaviors. I’m of the understanding that the amphetamine type stimulants may more readily cause that side effect than the methylphenidate type stimulants (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant, etc).

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Here’s some information on Strattera to consider as well:

Strattera: ADHD Medication FAQ

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.