medication

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sezi26
      Participant

Hi there im sarah my son mitchel is 12 years old hes on the matoride XL.36mg he has been on treatment for a year and a half naw he was missdiagnosed for years i noticed he had adhd when he was 3 he was a nightmare really they say terrible twos he was a handfull i already new that becoming a mother there was a chance that one of my own would have it as i raised my brother who has it naw my eldest has been diagnnosed with it mason is 14years i noticed age 5 years with mason and after 6 refarels im naw waiting for hes diagnosis,,Adhd<and ODD..i just wanted to ask other people whats the best sorce of foods high in callories but enjoyeble for children who dont maintaine a good diet threwout the day due to the slow relese stimulant ? thanks sarah 🙂

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADDitude has several articles on appetite loss in kids with ADHD. It’s a very common problem.

What to Do When ADHD Meds Ruin Your Child’s Appetite

When Meds Affect Appetite

There’s also another discussion thread on this very topic here: https://www.additudemag.com/forums/topic/food-recommendations-for-kids-who-wont-eat-on-meds/.

We had this problem with my son when he was younger (puberty seems to override it and now he eats like a horse). Here are some things I did to combat weight loss when it was an issue:

1. Protein shakes for breakfast—made them with whole milk, whole milk ice cream, peanut butter, and protein powder (watch the sugar). If your child will let you, add a banana too.

2. Add mayo, sauces, and gravy to food as much as possible.

3. Use full-fat versions of milk, butter, mayo, etc…

4. Protein bars or similar are small but can pack a big nutrient punch (read labels).

We tried this for about a year, it kept him from losing weight, but he still wasn’t gaining. So his doctor prescribed cyproheptadine, an old allergy medicine often used with ADHD meds to stimulate appetite. He gained at least 10 lbs the next year and was no longer underweight.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.