Medication not working, please help!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Medication not working, please help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      huni321
      Participant

Hi guys, sorry for the dramatic title I’ve just posted in a few places now and nobody is replying and I could really do with some advice! 🙁

I was diagnosed last year with ADD after struggling all my life with it but adhd clinic waiting list was 3 years long so eventually I went private, I’m 24 now. I was first started on Xaggitin XL and I was on it for 7 weeks eventually upped to the highest dose and I literally felt no change at all so I told my titration nurse and she’s changed my medication to Elvanse.
      I’ve been on that for a month and I’m on 70mg now, and I just feel no different, I’m still unorganised, can’t concentrate, constantly in a daydream state, can’t hold conversations cause I just forget what I’m saying halfway through, there’s no drive in me to do things like brush my teeth/clean house/exercise/do work. If anything, I think My symptoms are worse.
      Is this normal on medication? Does it take time to work, Are you supposed to wait months before seeing any sort of difference?

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by huni321.
      lynneiha
      Participant

That sucks that you’ve had to wait so long for ADHD medication, and now, you’re still not seeing results!
      I’m on Vyvanse, 40 mg, doing pretty well, only wanting to up it, as I was at 70 mg some years ago, and that worked well for me.
      I had to look up Elvanse. I didn’t realize it is the brand name for Vyvanse.
      I wanted to see if you were put on stimulants or a methylphenidate, but now I see you’ve been on both, because Xaggitin XL is a methylphenidate, whereas Vyvanse is a stimulant. So, this helped me untangle some info, but it won’t help you much.

See, as it is a stimulant, I would think that you would respond immediately to Vyvanse. Certainly you would after being on it a month. Unless you are one of the group of people who respond much better to methylphenidates-but that is what your Xaggitin XL was. And after 7 weeks of the highest dose of Xaggitin XL, it seems you should have seen a response.

In other words, I don’t know what to tell you. Possibly a methylphenidate AND a stimulant, combined, would work? But I am in no medical field, so I don’t know that answer. Most people w/ADHD respond better to either stimulants OR methylphenidates.

Your symptoms certainly sound like ADHD, but I suppose it’s possible you could have been wrongly diagnosed. I just don’t think it’s likely. But ADHD isn’t a diagnose anyone can “prove”, like a blood test can prove you have certain medical problems, so I guess a wrong diagnosis is always a possibility.
      Have you looked into therapy our counseling? I have realized that even with my meds, I’m going to need some counseling help to address long-standing effects of guilt. shame, etc. I still see a hard road ahead of me-but at least I have optimism thanks to actually being able to wake up in the mornings, for the first time in years. Counseling could very well help whether or not you have ADHD.
      Also, I would suggest reading the many blogs here on the ADDitude website about medication, and also about possible cognitive-behavioral approaches to your problems of concentration, disorganization, and motivation.
      Personally, I find motivation to be my biggest obstacle.
      Good Luck, don’t lose heart. Keep posting and reaching out.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Stimulants work right away. If you’re not seeing benefits within a few days, you’re likely not going to on that med. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.You’ve tried one medication in each category without success. That doesn’t mean none will work for you, but you could be in the 20% that stimulant medications don’t work for.

Here’s more on finding the right medication and dose:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

6 Reasons ADHD Treatment Fails

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

WaveOffTheCoast
      Participant

Not sure if this it’s helpful, but I was out on Vyvanse (Elvanse) for a while. Even up to the maximum dose, I felt nothing. But Adderall (amphetamine salts) work for me. My doctor explained that Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine with an amino acid attached (lysine). Enzymes break the amino acid off to make the drug available. My psychiatrist had noticed certain patients seemed to have no response. He suspected that maybe the enzyme wasn’t breaking the lysine off properly.

All that is to say, if Vyvanse works for you, you should notice a difference that day. If it doesn’t, there are other versions of amphetamine based drugs that might work better for you.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.