Medication for rejection sensitivity

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Medication for rejection sensitivity

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      rgoodrich
      Participant

I’m a 58 year-old female recently diagnosed with inattentive ADHA. I take 15mg of Adderall in two equal doses. My main issues revolve around social anxiety and fear of criticism. It was heartening to read the recent articles that describe Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria, and to clearly recognize myself. I also see a therapist once a week to work on these issues. I was wondering if anybody has tried guanfacine or clonidine and what the results were? Thanks!!

ken_whitten2002
      Participant

I have known a couple people that took clonodine and had awful effects, I have never tried it. Aderall has been life changing for me but has not helped with sensitivity yet. I have only taken it for 3 months so I haven’t given up. I am also taking therapy seriously but the one thing I have found for sure is that being with an insensitive or emotionally unavailable person is a disaster for me. I am answering as a male only because the symptoms that finally caused me to get treatment at age 60 were mental hyperactivity that for all I could see was anxiety, and sensitivity. I clearly had the typical “boy” symptoms at age six which enabled me to readily accept that I could have an ADHD symptom. I would have never known and certainly wouldn’t have gotten the medication in todays environment had I not had the “boy ” symptoms when I was a boy. My caution to you is that hyperactivity seems to display differently in women than it does in boys and you should look at that. There is a reason that ADD is no longer a valid diagnosis, and my belief is that because if you don’t have some form or level of hyperactivity you don’t have the disorder. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just see that far fewer women are diagnosed and I have never seen an explanation other than unrecognized symptoms. Best of luck. There is also a guest blog called the “ADHD symptom some women may be missing” on this site.

timk6
      Participant

I deal with RSD and I find that the traditional avenues of confidence building help more than anything, such as being very fit and working out a lot. Developing genuine expertise at something is also very beneficial. Anything you can take pride in will help. I don’t think you’ll ever find a medication for RSD, because you need to address the reasons for your RSD, which are real.

The only times I’ve effectively diminished my RSD problems is when I’ve been confident about my appearance.

Patrick
      Participant

RSD is stupid. Its an excuse and its a reason people use to continue to play the victim.
      But I get it. I am afraid of rejection and the shame of being rejected haunted me for years. It controlled me and beat me. Self pity is a drug and it’s my drug of choice. But if define yourself by your rejections than you are doomed.
      You wanna get better? Own your shit. Take control of your life. If your afraid of being rejected you need to toughen up. People are rejecting you for a reason. Maybe your too loud, hyperactive, bad at your job, or you blame everyone. Listen to what people are saying. They are trying to help you. Become good at accepting criticism. Surround yourself with people that tell you what you need to hear not people that will treat you like a child and tell you what you want to hear.
      You can’t change people liking you or not. So you have to like yourself. Love yourself and do what you want to do. Live your best life.
      Stop staying you have RSD and being a victim. Starting taking responsibility and be a hero.

Very innappropriate tone in your response. You should apologize for that, IMO. It was haughty, and nasty.

Motivatedman
      Participant

I think this forum is more about treatment for RSD more than for validation of the diagnosis but this not about “playing the victim” or some sort of cheap definition for being a sissy. This is a documented disorder that accompanies most patient “correctly” diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. This condition goes parallel and is consequent to the many symptoms of ADD. Of these, the most important (in my professional opinion) are the freezing, mental clouding, and distractability during conversation which produce real consequences to patient trying to interact and socialize daily. Due to these experiences, patients’ bodies and brain create defense mechanisms to deal with the “dysphoria” or unbearable sensation which might not be real to the outer perspectives of others but are very real to the patient. This “dysphoria”presents with very real symptoms like, palpitations, dyaphoresis, perspiration amongs other things during encounters or just the thought of a future encounter. This is why the first line treatment are alpha adrenergics, because their target organs are specifically those that cause palpitations, diaphoresis and perspiration. Now try to picture a person whom has had ADD all his life, cannot remember a persons name the second he hears and starts having these symptoms. ADD medication does wonders for patients but those who suffer from this accompanied diagnosis have double the trouble and could all together come to conclusions that their medication are under dosed or overdosed or all together inefficient. Just like ADD medications, these medications need to be tittrated by a qualified professional for each patients individual tolerance and efficacy.

a4adhd
      Participant

It was RSD that led me to the formal diagnosis of ADHD.

I have managed to control my RSD by cutting out all stimulants including caffeine.

A lot of CBT therapy has helped me to realise that pleasing other people wasn’t making me happy. By focusing on myself and being authentic, RSD is greatly reduced.

Participant

The medication that I’ve found to be most useful for most of my ADD/ADHD symptoms (Focalin) doesn’t exactly reduce my rejection sensitivity, but I feel it helps me recognize that what I’m experiencing in a given moment is the product of rejection sensitivity, not actual rejection, and thus, dismiss that awful, sick suspicion that someone is rejecting me every time I turn around. In other words, I think that Focalin (and therapy, too, as you mentioned) helps me differentiate between the occasional genuine rejection that happens in life, from the frequent feelings of rejection that can accompany ADD/ADHD. As for Guanfacine, I did try it but could not stay on it long enough to render an opinion as I unfortunately experienced Restless Legs Syndrome (neurologic condition — “unpleasant sensations in the legs that give rise to a maddening urge to move that occurs or worsens at rest”) pretty immediately. (However, there is a history of Restless Legs Syndrome in my family, and Guanfacine may just be triggering a condition for which I am genetically predisposed.) Lastly, please don’t internalize the notion that rejection sensitivity is some sort of self-pity when, in fact, rejection sensitivity is a common, well-documented trait associated with ADD/ADHD and it is very unkind for anyone to suggest that it’s somehow YOUR fault. Hang in there, you’re not alone! All the very best to you.

WhatTheWhat
      Participant

I think RSD is different in everyone. For me it was the RSD which I experienced all my life which led me to a diagnosis of ADD (Inattentive). Adderall really helped me manage my RSD symptoms. How Adderall is supposed to work is help you with executive function. Which helps you manage your emotions, plus things like impulsivity. It doesn’t magically make you another person or take away all of your sensitivities. I don’t think it would be helpful if it did because some people are made to be more sensitive than others. It is a gift and a curse. But I can say that it did help me to remove the “cloud” of thoughts that were connected to my emotions so that I could think more clearly. The issue for me is that my thoughts and emotions were so connected that I could not manage them at all. The medicine helped to separate them so that I could manage each. I felt immediately better but it doesn’t mean that it was a quick fix. I now have to take responsibility for some of the habits that built up over my lifetime. (I am 45 year old male.). CBT helped me with that and both helped me change my life for the better.

vituity26
      Participant

i found Intuniv to help with that. To help with letting things go.

timk6
      Participant

RSD is an attitude. It’s a habit of rejecting yourself pre-emptively, before anyone can reject you. Because this self imposed rejection feels less terrible than actual rejection. But to get like this, you probably did experience a lot of very real rejection. Every declaration of love from someone with RSD starts with “I know you’d never want me, but … “

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.