Medication for adults

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      helgajanine
      Participant

I just got the phone with my Doctor Who started me on Wellbutrin for ADHD symptoms, I asked why she didn’t want to do a stimulant since it was usually the first line treatment and she said that adults start with Jon stimulants first. If those don’t work then we go from there… this in contrary to everything I’ve read thus far. Anybody else have any experience with this.

AuntieM
      Participant

I was first diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and put on Prozac. Then three years later was diagnosed with ADHD. I was started with Ritalin. When I switched insurance, they tried me on Adderall and increased the dosage, which caused jitteriness so put back on Ritalin. I have switched insurance back and new doctor is working on my meds. She has mentioned trying Wellbutrin.

Different doctors, your medical history etc. can play a part in what medicines that are prescribed.

kypje
      Participant

Hi, my psychiatrist prescribed Wellbutrin first a a replacement for Zoloft (depression becauyof undiagnosed ADHD) and then gradually added Strattera (non stimulant medication for ADHD). The Wellbutrin helped a lot with the anxiety part of it and the strattera with concentration and social insecurities for me. Google the combination of these 2 medications And you will see a lot of info about the combined use. Not all psychiatrists are aware of it: I had a temporary replacement who thought it was nonsense during our first conversation and then came back to me after she read up.
      I find that ‘life’ is much easier these days, but that might partly have to do for the work that I did with my excellent coach. The acceptance process of this different view on my ‘flaws’ and dissatisfaction with myself have made way for a lot of compassion as the dominant feeling now.
      I hope you’ll find a bit of peace with my story?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s certainly not a general rule that adults start with non-stimulants, probably doctor preference. It may be time to get a 2nd opinion or find a new clinician altogether.

10 ADHD Medication Mistakes Even Doctors Make

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jwilli
      Participant

Hello,
      I agree with what Penny just posted. Stimulants still are the best first line of treatment for ADD/ADHD. When I was diagnosed I had a thorough evaluation done with a psychologist and psychiatrist and they concurred I have ADHD with NO co-morbid issues. I think it’s shame that some doctors just seem to insist that an ADDer must have a co-morbid issue when in fact that’s not always true! Before my diagnosis for ADHD I did however experience some frustration and dysthymia, but after I started on stimulants the dysthymia and feelings of frustration totally dissipated, and I didn’t need to be prescribed an SSRI or anything other than a stimulant.

I was first prescribed 5mg Ritalin IR three times a day, and over the years I was prescribed dextrostat and then Adderall XR. I took a few years off from treatment and became a workout fanatic and changed my diet too. But after I went back to school to finish my degree it became apparent to me and my wife that I needed to talk to me doctor about getting back on stimulant treatments. During the past year he has prescribed only Vyvance. For me, it clearly isn’t as smooth and effective as Adderall XR was and I have to also say I’ve had some real mixed results with it. Mostly not good! I’m going to ask my doctor if he can prescribe a different stimulant.

Hey, I understand the stigma surrounding amphetamine based stimulants and the unfortunate rampant misuse of stimulants has made some healthcare workers and others very cynical about stimulants. But for those of us adders who comply with the law and our doctors we shouldn’t have to suffer maltreatment or mistreatment because of other people’s ignorance and bad behavior. This “medication issue” is a very unfair problem that’s like an insult on top of injury! I feel for any ADDer who is experiencing problems getting the right stimulant medication for their treatment.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by jwilli.
      slisa0864@gmail.com
      Participant

hiyas my name is Lisa and im experiencing some similar issues, mi currently on Ritalin sr 20 mg once daily , and have been on this same dose for the past 4 years , and have talked to my doctor about using or changing this for me and she basically told me no and mae it out like im just looking for drugs when in reality i am seriously struggling with my add symptoms and the medication wears off after about 5 hours. i have been going to the same doctor for past 4 years and i started looking for a new one so i can get the help i need but im finding it to be very difficult to find someone who excepts my medicaid and who is excepting new client this time . i have co-occurring issues going on , add, anxiety, depression ,schizo effectiveness disorder, ect so i need to see another psychiatrist , shrink, like my current doctor. very frustrating , is anyone else experiencing these kind of issues??? i feel i am being treated unfair and unethical!!! she, my shrink, has said to me more than once that she thinks its time for me to find another doctor to see. which in my opinion is very unprofessional, especially considering that she works for a mental health hospital who is supposed to be qualified for someone like me. she even gave me a hard time when i approached her for help with my depression. she did up that medication but i had to really stick up for myself to get it done !!! UGH HELP!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.