medication

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a six year old whom we are trying to find the right medication for. So far we have tried adderal and vivance. Both are making it really hard for him to fall asleep at night ( not falling asleep until 11pm) and increasing behavioural issues due to lack of sleep. Any recommendations for meds that do not have such a significant affect on sleep? The doctor said that the sleep issues would settle down after a few weeks but it’s bad enough that I’m struggling to stick to the meds every day.

minas mom
      Participant

Try giving your child melotnin at night. My 7 year old hated bed time it would be so many behaviors and sometimes wouldn’t be u til midnight, than she wake up screaming in my face that she’s tired. I started to give melatonin liquid at night around 8ish. She has started to really calm down and relax and falls asleep very quickly. As well as not waking up screaming in my face, she’s sleepy more soundly. I get her up at 6 am as well. She just started adderall a few weeks ago and I give it to her right away in the morning before we leave the house. Hope this suggestion helps good luck

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Amphetamines may not be the best fit for your child. All stimulants affect sleep in come people but not others. Finding the right ADHD medication and dosage is a trial and error process, unfortunately. Learn more about the different ADHD medications and how to find the right med and dose in this article:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.