Med Clarification

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Med Clarification

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      bradshaw0106
      Participant

Hoping someone can shed some light for me.. was diagnosed last year at 37. Adderall XR was a no go, worst headaches ever!! After that I tried Vyvanse and Mydayis. I ended up on the highest mg Vyvanse – and was on the highest mg Mydayis, but currently back to 37.5 mg, and here’s the reason. These 2 worked good for several months. After a while it’s like my body just decides it’s not going to tolerate them anymore, and I start feeling like hell by the end of the day. Most of the day I feel fine, but by the end of my work day, sometimes later, I have a headache and a lot of times feel somewhat ‘anxious’ or even nauseous. I’ve tried changing my eating habits up some, drinking more water, drinking more or less caffeine to see if anything helps, but it doesn’t seem to. I thought going back down in mg might help the way I feel. It’s just odd that I felt ok for several months but that changes out of the blue.

If I’m reading correctly, it appears all of these are in the same category, Amphetamine?? If these aren’t right for me and I do find the ‘right’ one, would I (should I) feel normal? Maybe I’m comparing daytime to how bad I feel in the evening, so I’ve convinced myself I feel ok during the day, when in reality I just feel better than at night. Any input is greatly appreciated.

anguscole41
      Participant

I’ve taken all of these stigma besides Mydayis that’s one I’ve not tried,I took Adderall XR and had a bad experience with that,though been on Vyvanse for almost two years and its changed my life,in my opinion it’s the smoothest stimulant I’ve been on,I take 50mgs right now and have for a few months,I’d stay with Vyvsnse,you can take a lower dose and try to stay on the lower dose for a few months than work you away back up.hopefully some else has some insight as everyone is different,just my two cents.stay well

bradshaw0106
        Participant

Yep, Vyvanse was my favorite until several months in when I started feeling weird. It hit so fast I had to make sure I wasn’t pregnant!! LOL Thank you!

bradshaw0106
      Participant

I’m allergic to that but I don’t see my dr giving me that anyway lol.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You’re correct. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. The 3 meds you listed are all amphetamine-type. I would talk with your doctor about trying a methylphenidate. Then you’ll be able to compare and know which type works better for you.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

11 Steps to Prescribing and Using ADHD Medication Effectively

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

bradshaw0106
        Participant

I’ve already made an appt and going to talk with him today! Thank you all.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.