Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Methylphenidate manufacturer changed and it doesn’t seem to work as well.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  thanbaisunwin 1 day, 10 hours ago.

• Author

AndieBaer
    Participant

It could be the end of the school year craziness and other issues, but my son’s methylphenidate doesn’t seem to be as effective as it used to be. My pharmacist said the manufacturer changed recently, but it would be only a 5 percent difference between those generics and it would not be the cause of the behavior issues. I am working on other solutions for him, but I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience when a generic med mfg changed.

• This topic was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  AndieBaer.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Many generic stimulants do not work the same as the brand name. For instance, Concerta has a unique time-release mechanism. Most of the generics (except Actavis) don’t use this mechanism that makes Concerta work the way it does. Several were so bad that the FDA pulled their generic equivalency status. Now, sadly, there are new ones on the market that I hear are just as bad. I personally drive out of my way to Walgreens each month because their policy is to carry the good generic and CVS is only using the newest (cheapest) one.

Generic Concerta Is Not Created Equal

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

cperg51018
      Participant

Well you have found another kvk victim. My pharmacy changed vendors two month’s ago from Actavis the prior month’s. What a difference. I just about want to stop taking the medication because of how it makes me feel. I am up front with my pharmacist and told him that I cannot quite put my thumb on it but I will. I have notified KVK and Quality control are suppose to be in contact with me. I have been through Accelerated One year Medical Assistant school. 76 hour’s in one year. I held between a 3.80-4.0 GPA. Was on the dean’s list wrote a paper on MS. It was so good the board put it in there Archives, If it was not for Ritalin at the time there is no way I would have been able to hold the GPA I did. I do have a problem with generic’s, How can so many companie’s manufacture this product and be the same, Wouldn’t you call that PATENT infringement. Also what are the FAA guidelines to this. I happen to be very qualified in the medical world but I keep my self distant until need be.I do not like GOD SYNDROME. I know all are looking to save money but at what cost.This medication I say is a considered a Maintenance medication, You know you are taking it physically and that’s it. Not KVK I feel like I am on Drug’s. Sorry for putting it that way but it’s the only way I can describe.If any other input is wanted please E-mail me. This blog hit it right on the head and Thank you for that. Curtis.P.

staceystanford4
    Participant

I had the exact same problem at the end of the year! I thought it was just the end of the school year nerves and excitement but now I wonder!

staceystanford4
    Participant

Who is the manufacturer of the Methylphenidate that doesn’t work and of the one that does work?
    Stacey

AndieBaer
    Participant

Old manufacturer that worked ok: Actavis
    New manufacturer that may not be working as well: KVK

JBoom
    Participant

This is a common problem, as I discovered recently when my pharmacy changed to a different generic Adderal. It was not as effective at all and made me very moody. I talked with the pharmacist about it. He said they don’t take special order for generic brands for narcotics, but if my doctor specifies “Brand name only” on the prescription, that would at least be more consistent.

That’s what I did, problem solved. However, this solution will depend on your insurance policy.

Here’s another article about it on this site:

Name-Brand Prescriptions vs. Generic Drugs

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Jannsen and Actavis are both true equivalents.

These are the 3 new manufacturers and it looks like none of them use the unique osmotic mechanism of Concerta:

Trigen, Mylan, Impax

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

AndieBaer
    Participant

Thanks to those of you who replied to my post. We are able to find another pharmacy and get the Activas methylphenidate. It will be difficult to tell though if it was the mfg change or other factors affecting his behavior. Worth the effort though, even if it only helps a little! 🙂

Cooper
    Participant

I was taking Concerta 18mg ER, and due to insurance issues was changed to Methylphenidate 20mg ER, manufactured by Mallinckrodt; and Methylphenidate 5mg, manufactured by KVK. I feel like I’m on a placebo! They do nothing for my ADHD, and I have constant diarrhea, stomach cramps and dehydration. I thought I was losing my mind. My insurance company will not cover Concerta OR the Generic version at a reasonable rate. Very sad that the FDA lets this stuff happen.

PaulS
    Participant

I’ve experienced HUGE differences between various generic brands of methylphenidate – and I only take the instant release (IR). It is amazing how different they are. It’s also very hard to get a pharmacy to stick with a particular generic – or even tell you which they have in stock. I will probably switch to the brand name.

Details: I don’t take Concerta, but just IR methylphenidate. I was taking the Actavis generic 10mg for years with great results. I tried switching pharmacies once and got a different generic and it felt like a placebo – Copharma? Back on Actavis all good. Then the pharmacy switched to KVK and it was much less effective. I asked the pharmacy to change back, but they say they have no control over what is sent to them. I got used to it, but always wondered if maybe I was over-reacting. It seemed I needed maybe 25-50% more drug and it never worked as well. Suddenly, they changed back to Actavis and all was good for a few month – much better. Then it was back to KVK, then it was random – KVK for a month, then Actavis, then KVK, and now an IR from Mallinckdodt, which is causing headaches and feels like it does nothing.

I am amazed at the differences. I hate to blame the medicine, but I’ve missed some deadlines at work and hate not being able to predict how I will feel or how I will function at work or home.

All this is just for the IR. From what I’ve read, the extended release versions are even more problematic, as they can have different effects when the drug is in your system – but the chemical release mechanisms are totally different as well. A few years ago the FDA ruled they were not equivalent.

I did find after a few months on the KVK, it was better – so if I could consistently get that at 1/2 the price of the brand, I probably would – but this constant changing is intolerable, so brand name for me if I can get that to work.

KVKTECHVictim
    Participant

KVK Tech is a heinous methylphenidate manufacturer. I don’t know what they are doing, how much they are profiting by the subpar corners they are cutting but it is heinous! And CVS is killing us by almost exclusively using this horrific company. It is as if I took a street drug that was laced with rat poison, and I have been taking methylphenidate for 20 years without a problem until KVK Tech became the cheapest maker of this ADD medicine, and thus CVS jumped at the the opportunity. They don’t care. The quality is just heinous.

thanbaisunwin
    Participant

Thanks !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.