Looking for support group(s) in Houston

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Looking for support group(s) in Houston

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      wintersgirl13
      Participant

Hello to all! I’m a new user here. My son is 12, diagnosed with combined type ADHD at the age of 7. He has also been diagnosed with general/social and separation anxiety. He currently takes 2 different dosages of Intuniv and 75mg of Zoloft. We have tried multiple different stimulants and have realized he does not respond well with them. They do help his focus, however the side effects are far too difficult. He has stomach aches and says he just doesn’t feel like himself. The biggest issue is they seem to exacerbate his anxiety and explosive behavior. Additionally, he displays some characteristics of ODD and IED, but he does not exhibit enough symptoms to qualify for a diagnosis at this time according to his therapist/psychologist. Many of his meltdowns seem to be related to immature emotional regulation skills. This weakness exaggerates his difficulties with
      compliance, impulse control, and management of his anxieties.

What has led me to here? Well, multiple factors. We decided to do virtual schooling for the first grading period (our district allowed for a choice). We now realize this was a mistake as hindsight is always 20/20. There was too many distractions and temptations for him. With everything being virtual, he struggles staying focused and listening to the teacher on the Zoom, or struggles with taking initiative to go and read the directions they posted in the classroom. This has led to fights almost everyday. Tears, screaming and explosions. It also appears that his ADHD is worsening. I don’t see any improvements (not that you would at this age), but his lack of focus and impulsiveness has become greatly worse. The hyperactivity seems to be a bit less, but he does struggle with sitting still.

My son attends therapy as do I, his Mom. But I realize it isn’t enough for me. I don’t think I quite understand how to parent him (academically) and sometimes admittedly, in the emotional sense. I feel I honestly am doing more damage than good. I have very little patience, and don’t understand how to work within the confines of his disease. The real kicker is I feel as I look back growing that I myself have ADHD. I don’t think it became a struggle until I was in my early teens, but I acted on impulse many times, and struggled with focus. Regarding my son, I feel alone and isolated. This isn’t something I talk openly about on social media, and although I don’t hide that he has ADHD or anxiety, I don’t speak about the intense, daily struggles. Is anyone out there aware of any parental support groups within the surrounding Houston areas? I am about an hour south of Houston, but willing to drive if necessary to find support.

Thank you to all for any feedback/or info you may have!

Gazettechan
      Participant

Good luck and wish you more stregth and determination that you and your son can surpass that. 🙂

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Parents have to shift their approach and mindset when parenting kids with ADHD. Parent training is often very helpful to do that.

How Parent-Training Programs Work

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.