Looking for medication advice

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Looking for medication advice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      sporty
      Participant

What would be the best medication to help treat the following – rigidity and impulsivity and having big reactions to very small changes/disappointments. I swear we’ve tried everything and nothing helps. Any thoughts?

jlynn37
      Participant

These are the top things my guy struggles with as well. How old is yours?

Just for a small background on my guy, who is seven. He is diagnosed with ADHD w/ ODD and Anxiety. We are currently on Dyanavel XR 10mg (4ml), Guanfacine XR 4mg (2mg am, 2mg pm), and we are currently weaning off anxiety medication. My guy is very resistant to stimulant medications, so it’s been tough finding one that works. The current one is the best one that we have found so far, but it’s not as effective as the psychiatrist would like. The Guanfacine XR handles his impulsivity, which in turn can help the other stuff. Medication is hard though because every kid reacts differently to every medication. It really is trial and error and having a very good psychiatrist that will work with you.

I hope that was a little helpful! I know exactly how tough it is!

sporty
      Participant

Thank you. My son is 10. The dr suggested we look into adzenyas and call later next week to make a decision. We just can’t find the right medication.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I don’t know that medication will really “treat” those characteristics, @Sporty. You would probably have more success with therapy and working on self-regulating emotions. My son worked on this with an occupational therapist (OT) with the Zones of Regulation program. It was very helpful.

Chill Skills: Calming My Emotional Child with ADHD

Some parents say Intuniv or Kapvay help with impulsivity, but I don’t think any medication does fully. My son takes Concerta and he’s still wildly impulsive (and hates it – he’s 14).

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.