Looking for a support group for neurotypical spouses

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Looking for a support group for neurotypical spouses

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      josman1789
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’ve learned so much from ADDMag and from these forums. My husband almost certainly has ADHD and autism, though he’s never been formerly diagnosed (he comes from a country where these are sadly highly stigmatized), and he is not interested in getting diagnosed or help. Usually we manage fine, but there are definitely times when the fact that he operates on a different plane causes frustrations and difficulties. I’m looking for some kind of online support group where I can be with other neurotypical spouses who have navigated these waters before, who might be able to provide perspective, advice, and context for how my husband operates and how I can respond in a helpful manner. I have asked my doctor for help, and she sent me to mental health center that “doesn’t offer that” unless my husband pursues a diagnosis, which he refuses to do. Thank you in advance for any insights or ideas! –Julia

hayes
      Participant

Josman

I’m the ADD partner. I believe ADD.org has resources for neurotypical partners; CHADD (chadd.org) might also have resources available. They might at least be places to start. Good luck with the search – and thanks for your care and thoughtfulness!

CHRIS

josman1789
        Participant

Chris–Thank you so much, I will look there!

pulsenyc
      Participant

@josman1789 Happy to start a support group together and hopefully others will come on board. Is there a way to message one another or simply reply to comments here?

josman1789
      Participant

Pulsenyc–Thank you! I would love it if a few folks found this thread and we started our own. I’m also following up on Chris’s suggestions above. ADD.org does have support groups: https://add.org/virtual-peer-support-group-spouserelationship-peer-group-adhders-non-adhd-spouses/

I will try it out this Wednesday!

Julia

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.