Little help for a newbie?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Little help for a newbie?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio1
      Participant

Hi all!

So I’ve been to this and a dozen other websites many many times over the past decade. I need someone to help me figure out the next step!

Quick bio for any interested. 40, married, kids, executive. I find a way to function at a high level but I’m still only running at half speed. (Hit the really important deadlines at the last min but forget to follow up with new business opportunities. Forget to take the trash out. My Jeep is always a MESS. Etc. Etc.)

I got diagnosed about 7 or 8 years ago but told the therapist I didn’t want to medicate. She started some mindfulness stuff. I went to 2 sessions but never really gave it a chance and quit going.

Went to my PCP last fall and told him I was ready to medicate. He sent me for an evaluation before he would be willing to prescribe anything. I canceled the referral because they were booking 3 months out but never got around to finding another option.

What do I google? Who do I call? What do I do next? (I’m staring at about 30 open tabs on my computer… It shouldn’t be this hard to figure out the next step…

Thanks!

jgbutticci
      Participant

Loaded question. FYI, I’m 48.
      When I’m good, I rely on 1 paper / many lists.
      3 columns (1,2,3)
      1 (RED)- A projects / needs to be done this week or today / do it in excel as it is easier to move items around / BOLD letters or colors for critical needs
      2 (Yellow) – B projects (really sidelined A projects) / working on or keeping an eye one
      3a (Green) – C projects – things you are thinking of and don’t want to forget. Likely to become an A or B when it is closer to critical.
      3b (Blue) – PERSONAL – items you need to remember for yourself
      I also color coded my excel headers in pure red, yellow, green, and blue. My tasks then fell under the columns which had color headings.
      As time moves on, As will get checked off and replaced with new targets for the week. Bs naturally will move into As or get finished and moved off.
      Cs often hang around and either get reprioritized or eliminated over time.
      Whenever anything gets more critical – reassess, should they be A B or C
      When you get overwhelmed, do A1, A2, A3 by priority level. When working as an executive, I always had more than 1 priority being tossed at me at work.

Steven Covey has a great system to learn from as well.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

If you still want to try medication to treat your ADHD, ask your doctor to initiate a new referral. Unfortunately, it takes time to get ADHD treatment and to get it adjusted to work well for you.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

If you’re an executive, maybe you have an assistant or secretary. Rely on that person to help you with tasks you are not good at or can’t remember. In addition, systems can be extremely helpful. Set up an automated followup system for those business opportunities in an email marketing system like Mail Chimp or Constant Contact. For personal phone calls or meetings, after first contact with the business opportunity, place followup schedule in your calendar with alerts. Of course, there are many CRM programs available that can manage all of this in one place.

An ADHD Coach could be a great idea for you, as they work with you to create these systems and strategies specific to ADHD and individualized for your needs.

20 Reasons To Hire an ADHD Coach

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

bunneyoo
      Participant

I’m just wondering what country you’re in?

Also, as the other member mentioned – if you have an assistant, let them assist you with this. If you explain your situation to them then they will understand this is important (eventhough it’s not exclusively work related – it CAN affect your work indirectly so you two should try and tackle it asap)

If you’re in Australia I could help you.

Otherwise I suggest you see your usual doctor, OR your psych that diagnosed you with ADHD, and tell them you want to start trying medication… I was given a prescription the very first day I was diagnosed. So glad I did that.
      I didn’t seem to have any trouble with tests etc.

Make the appt for 3months time. That way, you’ll at least have a back up incase you can’t get what you want by then.
      The 3months away appt can be your “plan b” while you’re searching elsewhere, but I suggest you at least get your name on that list so you don’t lose any more time.

My name is Serena by the way 🙂
      Nice to meet you.

Casper
      Participant

Be realistic about what you want to change. Medication will help, but getting the right dose and the right drug may be a bumpy ride (side effects). It took me about a year to get it right.

dcoach
      Participant

I am right there with you. You have a similar description of myself. However, I did find a doctor to medicate. It has had a huge impact on my life. However, it is very stressful trying to find the right doctor, the right drug, and the right dosage. All of this, while dealing with the stigma of mental health. The stigma is one of the reasons you are on this message board. You cannot talk to anyone about it other than your spouse and doctor. Sadly, it doesn’t stop at the dr’s office. It is an obstacle, but not an impossible one by any means. Google and call an APRN ( I feel like they are easier to contact, which will come in handy when you need a monthly prescription), and tell them your story, then ask them if it is something they feel comfortable doing. It may work out, it may not. But there is always more. Set a day aside and go through the list of APRN’s or psych’s in your area, write notes next to their names, and go back through and see which one you want to see. Keep the list, incase it doesn’t work out. It will save you some googling. Recently, I changed doctors due to logistics; and made it very clear he was a very patient oriented doctor. We were trying to find the correct medication combination to last 14 hours… all day long. We tried two different combinations in less than two months and he sent me a message saying he will no longer see me. I am assuming, he thought I was doubling up on medication or I was just too much work for him.

jfish1
      Participant

Hi,
      I’m a psychotherapist who works primarily with children and adolescents with ADHD, have mild ADHD myself and have a house full of ADHD spouse and kids. I recommend two things: First, Mindfulness practice helps. It is called a PRACTICE because nobody is just magically great at it. Take a look at the book Meditation For the Fidgety Skeptic, written by Dan Harris. He is also an ABC News anchor who learned mindfulness after having a panic attack on air. You can get a peek at his approach by searching name and title on youtube as well. Research shows that, over time, just 5 minutes of mindfulness practice a day actually changes your brain. Add in some yoga and another 25 minutes of mindfulness a day and you will achieve these results in much less time.

Second, if you are ready to try medication, neuropsychological testing is often a thing doctors will require, especially from adults who were not diagnosed or treated as children. Your best bet is to go to the website of the major University Medical Center closest to you and search Neuropsychologist in the “find a physician” area. Get on several wait lists as well as schedule an appointment, and be willing to take a day off of work on short notice; many evaluations are cancelled because lots of people are doing just what I suggest, which opens up spaces for people on waiting lists. An alternative might be to schedule an appointment for psychotherapy with a therapist who specializes in ADHD at a clinic with a psychiatrist on staff; you may be able to skip the testing and get right to the prescribing after a brief assessment by a therapist. Download and complete the ASDS and bring it with you to your first appointment. https://add.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/adhd-questionnaire-ASRS111.pdf is the link. It’s a brief Adult ADHD screening tool that’s well researched and commonly accepted.

I also LOVE the color coded Excel sheet idea! I’ll do that for myself as soon as I learn how to! Thanks!

Good Luck,
      Julie Fish, MA, LLP

sagiesis
      Participant

I really relate to what you are going through, esp. the 30 tab thing. I get really easily overwhelmed, so one of the things I do is I have a limit, 5, only 5 things. If I am price comparing, researching, trying to learn about a new topic- I stop at 5 things. Also, when I need to know what to do next I ask myself “What do I need to do right now to take care of myself?” and “What absolutely has to get done today?” Doing these things makes it less overwhelming for me. Another idea I just had was: What was something that you wanted really badly and how did you go about getting it? I try to remember what that pursuit felt like, then imagine applying it to what I want now. Hope that helps.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.