Limits of Routines

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

elephantaurus
    Participant

I’m an adult and, officially, I have a diagnosis of ASD but I’m finding more and more often that executive function techniques from the ADD/ADHD community are tremendously helpful so…here I am…

I’ve always had this problem holding me back at work where I cannot regularly check my email and I often miss important things and it gets me into trouble often enough to be a risk to my employment.

The problem is that I can’t maintain a routine of doing anything more often than once per day. So, in the case of email where, by policy, my company requires I check it, at minimum, every 30 minutes. I set myself a reminder for every 30 minutes, but it works very inconsistently. The issue is that anything happening that often quickly gets tuned out. I’ll literally dismiss or snooze the reminder without actually processing what I’m doing and so I won’t be consciously aware that I’ve done it.

I’ve never been able to think of a way around this and NT resources all suggest the same useless nonsense.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I wonder if there’s reminder software that would pop up something over the majority of your screen. Might be less easy to dismiss mindlessly if you see it where you will check the email.

I have my email notify me of every new email with a ding and popup, so I can answer what’s important right away, but it’s distracting (and I’m neurotypical).

This is a tough one…

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.