Life on Medication—building a tolerance, addiction, unfortunate necessity

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Life on Medication—building a tolerance, addiction, unfortunate necessity

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 6 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author

redsoxgirl
    Participant

Hi all!
    I was on Ritalin as a child/adolescent and hated it, never took it regularly. I resisted any ADHD medication until my 30’s and have been on 90-120 mgs of Adderall Immediate release for the past 10 years. What I find is that the IR works but I want to take more than I’m supposed to and I have a love-hate relationship with it. I didn’t care for the XR at all. I’m tired of It controlling my life but the unfortunate side is I have to have some sort of ADD medication to function and hold a job.

My doctor has given me a 14 day trial of 70 mg of Vyvanse, which I’m finding to be much more pleasant as far as constantly thinking about taking more. However, It’s definitely not strong enough considering I have a huge tolerance after years of taking Stimulants.

Just wondering if anybody takes 100 mg of Vyvanse And if that’s even something that my doctor might possibly prescribe? Or, possibly takes 70 mg of by Vance with 30 mg of Adderall a day or something along those lines?

I do not want to go back to the Adderall battle and really want to stick with the Vyvanse but obviously it’s got to work for me and the 70 mg just is not quite enough.

I appreciate any feedback!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

All of these things are possible, but depend on your physician and what s/he is willing to do. Some realize you can prescribe more than the “tested” doses, others aren’t willing to do that.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.It could be that you’d do better on a methylphenidate, if you haven’t tried that already. Methylphenidates are less likely to be abused as well.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.