Life Has Changed For the Better

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Life Has Changed For the Better

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  scotth 5 days, 10 hours ago.

• Author

scotth
    Participant

In some ways that title may be misleading…
    Let me explain.
    I’m an adjunct instructor at a community college. Almost the ideal job for me considering my ADHD and various other issues. The difficulty, or one, however, has always been my serious social anxiety issues. Daily struggle. Stressed all the time – to the point of last summer ended up in the ER for the first time ever with a heart scare. They kept me there all day…yikes! Heart doing OK though.

This winter, even before Covid-19 turned everyone’s world upside down, I taught both of my classes online for the first time (we live in a huge, geographically speaking, county, and when roads are icy, students have difficulty attending classes) – admin just figured let’s give this a try to keep enrollment up and reduce attendance issues. Worked great. Spring became fully online for me. And now summer classes are fully online. The college has already reworked everything for fall to be online as well – those classes that can, at least.

My issue now is this: I seriously do not want to go back to in-class teaching. With all my issues, this has become my dream job. Create videos for students – they follow the videos. Set up office hours via requested livestream events. Grade and interact when it occurs to me or students need assistance. Make adjustments to the curriculum as needed. Etc.

Seriously, this couldn’t be better for my ADHD and variety of co-morbid issues.

When I think about the difference in my mental and physical health even. I am doing soooooo much better.

Right now I’m stressing though: how do I make this a permanent thing?! At some point, I assume, we will be going back into the classroom.

Now I know there are people who insist that students need the in-class experience. And for some students I feel that may be true. However, the number of students who shine working at their own pace, in their own comfortable environment, on their schedule, is pretty amazing. I’m seeing much better work from a majority of students during these online classes than I would see in the classroom.

This whole thing is very interesting. I just have to figure out how to remain an online only instructor and not jeopardize my job by not wanting to return to a classroom…

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Lots of colleges and universities offer online classes, even outside of the pandemic. Can you look for a teaching job that is 100% online courses?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

kdalpha
    Participant

I too am a college professor and at first I thought this would be horrible. Now I a
    Liking being at home, creating projects for students at any time and not having to fight traffic and find a spot in the parking deck. I do think this is a disservice to the students however, because I can’t bring in props, etc into my online classroom. I teach art. It is actually going to be more work for me to get organized and create new lesson plans. I’m also hoping this will be too much to handle for older instructors and I can pick up more of their classes!! Gotta stay positive.

scotth
    Participant

Thought I should share an update-ish…

The extra time is giving me the ability to really push forward in my own art and building up to a YouTube channel, website, etc. Now if only I can squeeze some success out of my personal endeavors, I’ll have more ability to decide whether returning to a classroom is for me (hint: it’s not).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.