Left Out at School

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Chicababy76
    Participant

My son got diagnosed at about 5. We started medication at about 6. It’s helped him SO much and we’ve come so far since then. He is now 7 1/2 and in first grade. I’m really struggling with how to handle the school situation. I feel his school believes the meds are a cure all. We all know medication can take our kids so far but it’s definitely not a cure all.

He often gets sent to the office to a short program that is ineffective for him. Many times gets sent out of gym or other classes. And heartbreakingly gets excluded from fun activities because he’s energetic and has a harder time than his fellow non ADHD classmates. In my eyes it’s not fair. I feel he’s being punished for something he truly cannot control. I need some advice or opinions. I don’t know what to do. I feel the school isn’t equipped to properly handle ADHD students, they just send them away to another room or the principal’s office. Teacher has 28 kids in class.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

It is absolutely punishing him for having a disability — which is neither fair nor acceptable.

I would request that the school evaluate him for a 504 Plan or IEP. Use this sample letter:

Free Sample Letter to Request an IEP/504 Evaluation

Then, when attending meetings about this, make sure they add accommodations for his participation in everything. I would put what you describe here in that request letter above.

If he’s on medication and still extremely hyperactive, talk with the prescribing doc about it. That often signals that the medication is not as effective as it should be. Yes, it’s just one tool, but it should improve hyperactivity.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.