Learning and meds

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      anneholl
      Participant

I teach a grade 5 student three times a week who has severe ADHD (hyperactive, inattentive and impulsive). I work closely with the parents in supporting learning. My student has recently (one week) started taking meds and the parents only give the meds on the days I teach. I don’t know if they are quick release, but so far there has been no change.

Are meds effective if given intermittently like this or do they need to be given more regularly?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It depends on the medication. If it’s a stimulant, it is effective as soon as it’s in his system. For some kids, when medication is only given sometimes, it’s a yo-yo and they can’t get adjusted, so it looks like it’s not working.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
      Participant

Depends on the med…

My advice to all teachers are to be good scientists and reporters of patterns and facts, but not psychopharmacologists.

Take good notes on what you see, and any Antecedents or triggers.

“I notice that I start to lose him around 1pm everyday. It doesn’t matter if it is math class or art, so I don’t think it is the subject.” This give a set of facts that the parent can discuss with medical provider. It could be meds, BUT it could also be things like… bullying at lunch, not eating or drinking because we are allowed to play once we are done…

Sharing medication concerns with a parent is a great way to turn off a parent, get yourself or the school in trouble, or miss something that is within your control.

Here in California, our education code specifically states that we cannot prevent a child from coming to class without meds. Even if you don’t cross that line, making a parent FEEL unwelcome could be enough to trigger a complaint.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.