Laziness versus ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Laziness versus ADHD

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      whisperingwings
      Participant

How do you differentiate between real laziness and low motivation as a result of ADHD? I’m sure laziness does exists, not everyone will be diagnosed with ADHD.

I think it’s the guilt. I have ADHD. When I cannot do something or when I procrastinate, I feel awful and beat myself up. I try to but it’s very difficult physically and mentally to start a task that is boring to me and I put it off. Inside, I feel depressed that I let others down. I think generally lazy people will not have these feelings.

I want to know your opinions on this.

peacockpainters
      Participant

I feel exactly the same way sometimes. Mostly when my medication isn’t working.

I know a few lazy people that don’t feel guilty about being lazy. I do believe that is the difference. We have kind of self awareness, whereas lazy people don’t.

whisperingwings
      Participant

For the lazy people who I know without ADHD, I always get reply such as “this is how we are, deal with it.”

With ADHD people, they explain more with their symptoms and how much they are struggling.

Blue
      Participant

Apparently the forum ate my reply. So I’ll post it again, but let me know if any duplicates show up and I need to delete them. (Or a mod can delete them if I haven’t noticed in time).

Laziness is – I need to do this thing. I don’t want to do this thing, therefore I won’t do this thing. I couldn’t care less about the consequences, or who it hurts, as long as I get to enjoy myself. Complete lack of care for others. Instant gratification achieved.

Responsible Self Care/Mindfulness is – I need to do this thing. I want/don’t want to do this thing. However I’ve been working really hard lately. I’m feeling burnt out and exhausted. I need a break or I’m going to get sensory overload, or have a meltdown. I’m going to skip this task in order to take care of my mental and physical health. I can always tackle this task tomorrow. The world won’t end if I prioritise my health.

Procrastination is – I need to do to this thing. I want/don’t want to do it, but it’s important I do. However, I don’t want to do it just yet because it’s a big task and it’s making me anxious, and I could probably do other stuff first, so I’ll put it to the back of the list and do it later on.

Executive Dysfunction (the core ADHD experience) is – I need to do this thing. I want/don’t want to do it, but despite needing to do this thing… I can’t. I don’t know why I can’t. It should be easy right? I just need to get up, and find the item, and start the task. But how do I start the task?? There’s so many steps involed. What’s the best way to do this? This is really stressing me out because I need to do this thing, and I’m so frustrated! Why is this not happening, it’s not even this hard. But no, I’m just scrolling through the internet still. Pleeeassse, I’m begging, just start the task.

Hyperfocus (the ADHD intense state of focus) is – Cool. I’m doing this thing. This thing is really engaging. I’m so focused on this thing. There is nothing else that exists but this task. Oh crap, it’s been five hours and I haven’t made lunch, and really need the bathroom, and I’m kinda exhausted. Where did my day go!? Oh my god. Woops.

Executive Dysfunction (the Time Blindness aspect) is

> Version 1) (Time moves too fast) I need to do this thing at 3:00, which means I need to leave at 2:30 to get there for 2:50 so I can be ten minutes early and… What do you mean it’s already 2:45!? *PANIC*

> Version 2) (Time moves too slow) I need to do this thing at 3:00, which means I need to leave at 2:30 to get there for 2:50 so I can be ten minutes early. Wow! I sure did get all of this preperation done early so I can leave on time! I bet it’s almost 2:30 now. Wait… What do you mean it’s still 11am??????

whisperingwings
        Participant

Blue – Thank you for breaking it all down with examples. I can visualize and understand better.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Your replies got flagged for moderation. I deleted all the duplicate posts.

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

shannonh1231
        Participant

Executive Dysfunction (the core ADHD experience)

Hyperfocus (the ADHD intense state of focus)

Executive Dysfunction (the Time Blindness aspect)
        Version 1) (Time moves too fast)

These are my biggest issues, thank you for explaining them in that way. Do you have any tips on how to overcome these or work through them. I am on Adderall xr 30 twice a day, but still have this problem.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.