Late ADHD diagnosis & Trauma.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Late ADHD diagnosis & Trauma.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      happykitty
      Participant

Hello, after the assessment, (I’m diagnosed last year) I didn’t know but well actually still in denial I’m born with ADHD but late diagnosis cause of my parents past denial. I don’t blame them for not helping me though. I’m just glad I’m getting help now and prior to this ADHD diagnosis, it’s not for an excuse but I do wish I can better self-regulate for normal routine so before doing that I need to process lots of trauma stabilisation work cause I am filled with history with ‘shame & guilt’ ADHD has caused, disorder in the brain’s pituitary gland that both doesn’t make me have a sensation to respond to the body’s right emotions/needs as a hyperactive type, imagine that. Fyi, being hyperactive can cause ‘damages’ to your body, I’m not having fun but I’ve been under damage control and is manageable after 6 years ++

All so my recovery is gonna be long ass journey into like:

Process trauma -> Fix other conditions -> Self-regulation work -> Psycho education on ADHD self-management.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by happykitty.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD and trauma can go hand-in-hand. Here are some resources that may help you on this journey. Healing the trauma is the only way forward.

ADHD and Trauma: Untangling Causes, Symptoms & Treatments

The Relationship Between PTSD and ADHD: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment

The Science of Fear: Probing the Brain Circuits That Link ADHD and PTSD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

happykitty
      Participant

Thank you Penny. Yea the reason behind this is true that theres some trauma in the brain my endocrine suspected that causes the whole regulation difficult that brings to this triangle that my therapist addresses

“Another factor for trauma, behind shame & guilt is that the main cause I have histories of being invalidated that explains not having the sensation responding to body’s emotions/needs like this triangle. When my sensation is broken, all is hay-wired so I am processing trauma to hope I get the full triangle and I can regulate better. Meaning, I have been traumatised so much I can’t seem to express self correctly and express self for help, similar to what an autistic is going through.”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by happykitty.
      happykitty
      Participant

can you see the triangle? idk if i post it or where my post went

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.