Lack of needing sleep and poor direction

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Lack of needing sleep and poor direction

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      roadrunner
      Participant

Hi all- I have been recently diagnosed with ADHD by a psychiatrist. I am still in shock with the diagnosis but when I read ADHD in women it makes sense. Trouble organizing, overwhelmed, starting tasks etc.
      I was wondering if not needing much sleep is also common with people who have ADHD? I have always not needed much sleep maybe 5-6 hours at most and at times don’t seem tired. I often have to do a lot of physical exercise to get tired. Also, I struggle with sense of direction. It is very difficult for me to go to new places and must go to a place several times before I can remember how to get there. I also have trouble getting back home after finding the place. Can this also be apart of ADHD? Any feedback or own experiences with this? Thanks

Spaceboy 99
      Participant

Hey there,

First off- well done for reaching out πŸ™‚ It’s great that you want to understand more about your condition and how it affects you.

So, the sleep thing- I’m actually a lot like you in that regard. I never felt that I needed particularly much sleep, until I was 18, in a terribly abusive relationship, and leaned too heavily on my ability to go without sleep. I don’t know about it being common, but the reason I used to think that way was essentially because I got my biggest burst of energy and creativity late at night. I felt like hell when I woke up, but because, by the end of the day, I had energy again, I assumed that I didn’t need particularly much sleep. Nowadays, I get my full eight hours, (I use a sunset/sunrise simulating alarm clock to MAKE me tired when I need to sleep), and I realise that, even though I CAN go on very little sleep, I’m actually much better off when I don’t. Getting 8 hours actually mitigates ADHD symptoms, as well.

Physical exercise, likewise mitigates ADHD symptoms, and the attendant tiredness helps calm down your mind before bed.

The sense of direction thing isn’t one I know of, but if we postulate that sense of direction is tied to attentiveness, then a lack of sense of direction could well be an inattentive symptom. Alternatively, it may just be a quirk unique to you πŸ™‚ Although ADHD affects pretty much every part of our lives, there are some things we just find difficult because we’re not very good at them πŸ™‚ Mine is handiwork and building things. Even when I use a ruler, draw guiding lines, and go as carefully as possible, I can’t saw wood in anything remotely resembling a straight line πŸ˜› So my fiancee gets to handle the DIY πŸ˜›

I hope this helps πŸ™‚

roadrunner
      Participant

Thanks for your response. The sleep problem for me has been since I was a kid. I am a runner and run a lot but sometimes I still can’t wind down. It has helped clear my mind and feel calmer.

MadisonDee
      Participant

Hi, I’m also an adult women recently diagnosed with adult adhd, Sense of direction is a huge one for me too! I get nervous having to go somewhere new, I always try to account for “getting lost” time but since I am almost always running late that doesn’t really work out. I very very commonly will walk out of a store and just walk the complete wrong direction and I usually don’t realize it for several minutes, I also will miss exits on the freeway, etc etc.. It drives my husband crazy because he always feels like he has to reign me in like a toddler that roams off hahah, he tries to correct me and point me the right way constantly. Personally I feel like this is a massive side effect of being the “day dreamy/zoning out” type which is common in women it seems. A coping mechanism I use personally is google maps, when ever I am driving I turn it on, no matter what, even if I know where I am going, because the voice reminds me to get off at exits etc, it helps me from zoning out and driving off in to never never land.

With the sleep thing, I can’t relate, I am a restless sleeper which I think can also be a problem with ADHD so I don’t sleep through the night, which causes me to be VERY fatigued through out the day. But now that I am on medication I can relate more to what you’re experiencing and I’ve found really hot showers right before bed can help wind me down. Just a thought. πŸ™‚

PS. funny side story, I lived in Chicago for a short time and would commonly take the metra, well I wasn’t paying attention once and ended up accidently taking the train from downtown Chicago all the way to Indiana because by the time I realized I was on the wrong train (10 minutes in) there wasn’t another stop for quite a while! All you can do is laugh it off and try to be better.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.