Kind of Hate my (Grand)parents right now.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Kind of Hate my (Grand)parents right now.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Angelacawein 8 months ago.

• Author

StarNinja
    Participant

I happened upon a video about ADHD this morning and watched it cause I’m a curious person. Five hours of research later my world has been explained.

I was raised by my grandparents. I knew that I had ADHD when I was younger, but never cared; I always thought that I had just outgrown it or… Something.

This is what actually happened. A teacher of mine said they thought I had ADHD. I wasn’t tested or anything, no one explained anything. My grandmother took me to the doctor and got some pills. I, a child, didn’t want to take the pills. She got rid of the pills and never thought about it again.

@$^$&(@$^@(*#@$*#($^#@^%!

Even after I only got through the last few years of high school by the skin of my neck. Even after Years of Knowing what I have to do and just. Never. Doing it.
    I’ve always gotten good grades, scored almost perfectly on every single standardized test. But I almost failed high school because I could never do the homework. If I didn’t get it done in school, it wasn’t getting done. A couple of my teachers talked to me about it, asked me why, told me to shape up. I never knew why. I could never just Fix myself.

I was Begging for help for Years without saying it. And. She. KNEW. The. Answer.

StarNinja
    Participant

I shouldn’t be surprised that this is just another place where she never cared to be the Adult for me. But somehow, I’m still disappointed.

Angelacawein
    Participant

First of all saying “kind of hate my grandparents right now,” sounds really ungrateful. I don’t know your situation why your parents aren’t taking care of you. Your grandparents cared enough and didn’t have to, could have been a foster child in the system. You mention that your grandmother took you to the doctors and was given medication. You wouldn’t take it. Sounds to me she did try to get you some help. I am a parent of 4 children and I have a grandson. I am ADHD but didn’t get diagnosed until I was in my 30’s. My parents knew something was wrong with me when I was in school, took me to see a psychiatrist but they said, I was lazy…. After I got medicated as an adult, things got better for me. I asked my parents why they didn’t get me help, they said they tried and I know they did. I know they feel bad but it isn’t their fault. All you can do is get to a psychiatrist and get diagnosed. Its not fair to blame your grandparents for this. They did the best they could and should be applaud for stepping in and taking care of their grandchild. There isn’t much I wouldn’t do for my grandson but I can’t imagine the stress and responsibility of raising him at my age.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.