Keeping Consistent Moods

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Health & Nutrition Keeping Consistent Moods

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Turquoise Dove 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

dmccallister
    Participant

I am curious how all of your cope with mood swings and irritability? I am especially interested in successes through natural means, ie. supplements, exercise, and/or other. This is something I that has gotten worse over time, and I have longer periods of these.

Thanks

jsealand
    Participant

I’ve got all sorts of goals for bullet journalling and mindfulness and exercising more and learning how to meditate, but what’s helping me in the meantime is just slow breathing. As soon as I notice how irritated or frustrated I’m getting, I do that specific breathing technique: inhale for a count of 8, hold for 4, exhale for a count of 8, lather rinse repeat. (I’m teaching it to my six-year-old, too, so maybe he’ll have better tools in his toolbox than his mum had.) Also, a drink of water can help, even if it’s just because it makes us walk away and take a moment. But hydration is always good. 🙂

anomalocaris
    Participant

A couple of things help me. One is spending as much time as possible outdoors.

Another thing that’s helped me is just not giving in. I can’t always choose how I feel, but I CAN control how I act, and there are numerous studies out there demonstrating that even an exercise that forces the face into a using the muscles that we use to smile makes people feel happier. So by refusing to indulge and feed my moods, I can maintain a much more stable pattern than if I indulge them and expect others to accommodate them. I know that sounds weird in today’s “snowflake” culture, but it works for me.

Finally… rattlesnakes. 🙂 Rattlesnakes always make me feel better. You might need to find your own species, though. I suspect rattleys won’t work for everyone.

Poppy123
    Participant

I am on a low-carb ketogenic diet that cuts out anything with sugar and high carbs. I personally don’t have ADHD (my boyfriend has) I have anxiety and depression and irritability and this diet has stopped me feeling irritable. I have to make sweet things instead with erythritol and stevia sweeteners that are expensive but worth keeping my mood calmer. (my reference is from Dr Eric Berg). He recommends Nutritional Yeast flakes (B vits) for people with ADHD and Vit D but he has endless youtube videos you can watch if interested.

gentlygenli
    Participant

I get irritated when I’m struggling against distraction. Low dose of Adderall, and irritability disappears.

MsKaVR
    Participant

I noticed my son had better moods when he exercises and takes fish oil.

MollieNeuman
    Participant

Exercise can make a person feel fresh.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  MollieNeuman.

donsense
    Participant

As I aged and i tended to get less sleep as the job and home demands increased ( and I owned the company) My low frustration tolerance became NO frustration tolerance. I even made the google page for it a bookmark and checked from time to time for suggestions and solutions. I had RSD bigtime and it was getting worse. I retired and 10 frustrating years later found out i was Adhd and undergoing a major depression. Third wife was leaving and this was the bottom
    Hospitalized, i started on Effexxor for the depression, it works like Strattera, with slow and steady progress. I learned to value sleep above all else and i found out group participation in music was a great producer of Dopamine. I cut out my 10 to 20 mugs of coffee a day and switched to decafe. Concerta was prescribed but was not very helpful and i quit it. I read and really enjoyed the book Mindfulness for Dummies and i read many of the other novels for ADHDers. I have also read and posted replies to many articles here and on TotallyADD.
    Diet haas changed dramatically with as few prepared servings as i can and a cup of mixed fruit with cold cereal every day. Vegetables fresh and frozen make up at least half of every meal even with Pasta, i have alwatys had a sweet tooth so dessert is a big deal but i have cut down and favor chocolate and fruit pies.
    Exercise is my achilles and I do not get enough. Still trying to improve that part as i think that is among the best natural remedies.

I cut back the Effexxor and will probably cut back even more but it did a fantastic job of eliminating the depression and reducing pain in this arthritic body so am not in any rush.
    A year ago I underwent Heart valve replacement surgery and was very thankful for the meds then (broken Ribs) and other than an occasional Moo now and again have recovered quickly and thoroughly.
    These forums and articles are outstanding in their wealth of suggestions. READ the comments Many are helpful but they dont all work for everyone.
    Finally give yourself a lot of support and Kudos . You have made it this far battling a wary adversary.
    Don

Turquoise Dove
    Participant

II was invited to attend a Center for Spiritual Living group meditation and service. I went, because I didn’t want to hurt the feelings (you guys know the drill) of the person who invited me, but I’m glad I did! This group is based on New Thought, and they actually TEACH you how to think positively. I had no idea I had so many negative thoughts!! I was under the impression that I was simply thinking thoughts that were true when in actuality it was a long tirade of negativity. They warn that one needs to be constantly vigilant in guarding our minds against thoughts that don’t serve us well. For example, “Oh no! A traffic jam!” can change to, “”Thank goodness I have a full tank of gas and won’t run out if this lasts a while.” I’ve actually used that one. At first, it’s a constant vigilance, but now I find that when a negative thought comes into my head, I automatically change it around to a positive. Also, they teach mindfulness. When I start spinning out of control, I’ve learned to stop, ask myself what’s really happening, i.e., is disaster REALLY looming? Is my life REALLY heading for financial disaster. The answer is always, well, no, not REALLY. I meditate in short boughts throughout the week and for a 1/2 hour on Sundays with the group. This and giving up alcohol except for a single light drink if I’m out with friends, has made a huge difference in my ability to control the anxiety/depression aspect of my ADHD. Being a hunter/warrior in a sower/gatherer society isn’t easy, especially when they’ve dubbed us “disordered”! I also want to say that I’m a devout Christian, so I do take the New Thought theology with a grain of salt. So, take what you need from it and leave the rest. Actually, they don’t care. They’re just glad to be able to help you out on your personal journey.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.