Just the Facts Jack

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  amrahs 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Pump2Duncan
    Participant

Well I just sat through a very productive 3 year Re-Evaluation IEP Meeting. One recurring theme played throughout – my son is a “Just the Facts Jack” type of kiddo. This bleeds over into his reading comprehension ability. The testing showed that while my son could tell you specific facts of a story he just read, he could not make inferences based off of that same reading.

Similarly, each teacher noted “inappropriate comments” (not mean or crude comments – just inappropriate for situation at the time); an inability to have a back and forth conversation (he monopolizes the conversation with peers); and an inability to read cause and effect or social cues.

In 6th grade he is already testing at a 12.9 grade level in math. But even in math, if the problem requires any amount of inference, that problem is practically unsolvable until he removes all “distractions” as my son has taken to calling inferences in class.

They suggested I have conversations with him at home and set social rules for him to follow and role play those rules out. I agree these are fine starting point and are more than likely needed. However, seems to me that further evaluations need to be done. But I’m at a loss at what those might be. Any ideas? Perhaps counseling?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Does your son have an autism diagnosis in addition to ADHD? The literal thinking, social struggles, and conversational skills deficits could all be symptoms of autism. Those were some of the lingering symptoms that made me consider autism for my own son around age 10 (got the additional diagnosis at age 12).

[Self-Test] Is My Child on the Autism Spectrum?

I agree with the suggestion to set some social rules. We find setting rules for as much as possible helps. For instance, I taught my son to always ask what his guest wants to do and do that first when you have a friend over. (He also comes across as bossy.)

We also have the same struggles with reading comprehension. Individuals who are very literal thinkers struggle to make connections and inferences and to interpret what they read. My son cannot see himself in others unless they are exactly the same — and who’s exactly the same?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
    Participant

No, he does not have an autism diagnosis. Only a diagnosis for ADHD – combined type and an anxiety disorder. However, as the years progress (especially this past year) the signs of autism are becoming more noticeable (if that makes any sense). He turns 11 next month.

After the meeting, I had a talk with my son and set a couple social rules. One was that when he finishes his math work super fast, instead of saying how easy the work is he ask his shoulder buddy if they need any help. If they say yes, then provide help. If they say no, then journal. We discussed how talking about how easy an assignment is or how bored we are with an assignment can make another person feel bad when they are struggling with the same assignment (which is what he was doing in class).

Since throwing too many rules at him at once seems to overwhelm him, I think we’ll work on this one for a little while, then move on to conversations. In the meantime, I’ve started researching health professionals in our area that are covered by our insurance that might be able to give me more guidance.

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

Makes complete sense! Exactly what I went through. I never suspected autism until the anxiety began to look like more than just anxiety (stuck thoughts, overwhelming sensory issues, etc…), and when things that should have been improving if it were only ADHD were actually getting worse (social interactions mostly).

While having an additional autism diagnosis doesn’t change treatment, it provided a huge missing piece of understanding my son fully… and that’s priceless. It helps me do the very best I can for him and help him be the best version of himself he can be. 🙂

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

amrahs
    Participant

Hi Pump2Duncan,
    Just read your input. I am 39 and just got diagnosed with ADD. I can relate with your child. I was pretty good at math upto 12th grade. And I got into a great technical school. Once there, there were 3 out of 4 years of advanced math and I flunked one and came close to failing in other math tests there. Reason (now I understand), was details and inferences like you said. Even now, my math and problem solving is great but I can’t remember formulae, etc. My exam sheets used to be full of work to find the basic formulae because I couldn’t remember their details.

Another part, I am a facts guy too. Love reading wikipedia all the time but if you give me a 100-page novel or any other book, it will take 2 months for me to complete. I thought I was weak, but it was just distractions as you mentioned. My parents set no rules for me but they really couldn’t observe the issues you mentioned. For them I was doing pretty well. I have done well generally in life but I know that I suffered because of low self esteem over times. I don’t have any answers as I am seeking myself. One thing I can tell you though is that I have done and may have helped me to get through all this without medication or counseling is probably through meditation. I have meditated 5-10 mins a day since my childhood. I don’t know for sure but that may have helped.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.