Just diagnosed. Irritated with meds and insurance

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Just diagnosed. Irritated with meds and insurance

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jf67
      Participant

Hi! I was just diagnosed this month.
      My doc put me on generic concerta
      18mg. The first 3 days were great.
      I thought I found my miracle drug.
      I could actually focus and the
      constant narrative in my head was
      gone. By the fourth day I noticed
      I was irritated and had periods of
      anger on and off throughout the day.
      I don’t want to be on a medication where I’m not sure if its gonna be a good day or a bad day on it. I know stimulants have potential bc the first 3 days were wonderful.
      I paid $100 for half of the script
      bc my insurance wanted doctor approval.
      After the 15 days I went to the
      pharmacy to refill. The pharmacist
      said the it was approved but bc it’s
      a tier 3 drug I had to pay a $210
      deductible and a $54 co pay (every month).
      HELLO, its a generic drug.
      I did extensive research with numerous pharmacy prices and insurance. It appears my
      best option is generic adderall ($1.67 co pay). It also doesn’t require a prior approval. My insurance only approves Ritalin IR (generic) & generic adderall.
      With approval they will cover vyvanse with a $79 co pay. Which is only $25 more then the generic Concerta.
      I still don’t understand why the co pay is $54. Its the same with any methylphenidate formulation.
      I wanted to talk to my doctor about
      changing it anyway but its difficult
      bc in the US there is such a stigma
      with adderall and I’m just uncomfortable with
      all these new prescription drug laws.
      I have never had an addiction problem but it sucks when you need to talk to your doc about a med change but have to fear you may be looked at like a “drug seeker”
      The pharmacist treated me like an
      addict when I went to fill my script. She was very rude. When she told me about the deductible and co pay she said ” you should expect this, you are trying to fill a narcotic script”
      It felt like I was treated like a
      criminal when I just want to try to
      better my quality of life.
      Anyway, has anyone had similar problems
      with generic concerta? Or similar
      Insurance issues.

Thanks,

Jamie

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I’m sorry you’re finding getting ADHD treatment such a struggle — you’re not alone with this experience. It’s unfortunately the nature of the beast, especially now that there’s such a huge problem with stimulant abuse by folks who don’t have ADHD. I would talk to yur doctor about your experience and your struggle with the costs. If they seem to not “care,” then it may be time to find a new doc.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.