Just been diagnosed, is addictiveness a factor?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Just been diagnosed, is addictiveness a factor?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mikeyboy80
      Participant

Hi,

First time on here so sorry for the rant. Doctor told me the other day I’m likely to have ADHD and has referred me etc. I’m sort of relieved to hear this and explains a few things I am the way I am. My head is all over as not sure what to do while waiting to hear back from the psychiatrist.

Anyway, one concern I have is being addicted to purchasing mobile phones. I’ll get one then change, then change again like I get bored or get annoyed when something so small is wrong with the phone so I’ll get a new one. This has been happening for a few years now and it’s at the point where I’m in debt. I wanted to know if this is common behaviour for someone with ADHD. I’m very nervous and worried and want to stop.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Boredom and poor impulse control can be a play with this issue, and are both symptoms of ADHD. On the other hand, it could be a compulsion, which is a different disorder (but can co-exist with ADHD). It’s all very complex and teasing different things apart can be difficult.

Your best bet is to seek some counseling or therapy and see if they can help you break free from this loop. CBT therapy in particular may be really helpful.

Challenge Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.