Jornay or Ritalin??

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      2lilmonkeys
      Participant

My 7 year old son is currently taking Ritalin 3 times a day. He’s awful in the morning until it kicks in and he doesn’t have much self control once it wears off but we can cope. As he gets older not being able to focus on homework and studying is going to become a problem but I’m hoping he’ll be able to take a higher dose of Ritalin by then also.
      He tried Concerta over spring break to see if that worked better and all he did was cry so that’s not an option.
      Yesterday his doctor suggested trying Jornay. I’ve read up about it and I can’t decide. It seems like it would wear off by dinner and he still wouldn’t have any focus by dinnertime.
      If anyone has tried this medicine how did it work for your child? I can’t decide what to do!
      Thanks!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Every medication you mentioned is a methylphenidate. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant, Journay…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

It may be time to try an amphetamine-based stimulant. He may do better on those. If not, you’ll know to keep trying methylphenidate until you find the right one and right dose.

Here’s details and user review on Jornay:

Jornay PM

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Aaron Lewis
      Participant

Jornay PM hit the market about six months ago, so it’s extremely expensive. If you have insurance, insurance might not cover it, since it’s so new.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.