Job interviews

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

How do we answer the question “What are your weaknesses?” Do I s we admit to forgetting steps & must make a task list to follow?

liasamturn
      Participant

I’ve always…creatively reframed…my flaws as ‘I’m a perfectionist’ or ‘I’m working on not taking on more than I can humanly do’. Jokes are good depending on companies, too.. A friend said his Achilles tendon was his weakness in a job interview a while ago and that was the thing that got him the job!!

I have been made, conveniently, ‘redundant’ from my last 2 jobs because of my adhd quirks, I believe, though..so I think in my next interview I will just be honest about it from the start, but mention its benefits as well as its hinderences.

iom9672
      Participant

I’d leave the ADHD mention til after you get the offer if possible. Bringing it up in an interview could cause the interviewer to prejudice against you, compared to other candidates who don’t have it (the bonus if you bring it up after receiving the offer, they may have to make reasonable adjustments depending on the laws in your country).

Naturally don’t mention weaknesses that are prerequisites of the job. Instead, maybe say something like “presenting in front of people has never been by strongest point, however I’ve worked to improve this weakness with X example, Y example and Z example (eg taking presenting courses, performing in public, examples of past presentations, etc.).” That way you can talk about your other positive experiences, and give the interviewer an impression that you’ll bring him solutions to problems, rather than just more problems.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by iom9672.
      Red89
      Participant

I have worked in HR for about 15 yrs and have interviewed a lot of candidates. I would recommend staying away from the “I’m a perfectionist” answer or disclosing that you have ADHD during an interview. What I would suggest is having an answer to this question prepared beforehand so you are not caught off guard during an interview. A good way to do this is to go through the job description and pick a skill or duty that you do not have much experience with and give the interviewer concrete examples about how you are working to improve this skill. This approach shows the interviewer that you have an understanding of the job and how you will own your professional development in an area that is not your strong suit.

marie-eve.barette
      Participant

Ever since I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD, it’s pretty much the first info I’ll give (proudly!) in a job interview!

1. I let them know about my challenges and the steps I’ve taken to “make up for them”, thus showing my adaptability and willfulness;
      2. I tell them about the “quirks” of having ADHD : lots of energy, fast (outside the box) thinking, super problem solving abilities, positive and proactive attitude;
      3. If they don’t have it in them to understand that you can be “different” and still contribute in a meaningful way to their mission, I’d rather not work with them!

So far, this attitude of mine has been working wonders… 🙂 Not saying it is the answer for everyone, though.

Proudly ADHD

Glasmom5
      Participant

I would not mention your add. It’s a medical issue and not something that needs to be shared. If you are qualified to do the job, and capable of handling the companies expectations, then you don’t need to disclose your disability. It sounds like you have developed strategies for handling the struggles that add causes and that’s a strength!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.