I've always been triggered by change. Thoughts?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame I've always been triggered by change. Thoughts?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  quietlylost 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

mrowdy
    Participant

As a child I didn’t have any unusual meltdowns except when something changed. The times I can remember were: my plastic bed was given to Goodwill and replaced with a new nice bed. I ran away sobbing into the adjoining cornfield near my house and talked myself through my feelings of sadness and anger for over an hour. Another was when I couldn’t use my carseat anymore because I was too old and too big.

As I got older I knew how to regulate my emotions better but big changes always trigger me for some reason. Ex: Graduating high school and leaving my theatre group behind.

Now my best friend is moving out in a month and getting married and I can feel a meltdown coming on.

How can I help this? why is it change that triggers me? Does this happen to anyone else? Why does my ADHD make me feel things so deeply.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

You feel things more deeply. Could be hypersensitivity or RSD:

Are You Hypersensitive?

How ADHD Ignites Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

General Chow
    Participant

Everyone experiences those intense emotional reactions when stimulated by an upsetting event, including unwanted changes in a person’s life. It’s natural for all people to dwell on the emotional event, especially a significant one like when a parent or pet passes away. People with ADD are more likely to have these deficits when it comes to emotional regulation, which is the ability to modify an emotional state so as to promote adaptive, goal-oriented behaviors.

The Anterior Cingulate Gyrus is the portion of the brain responsible for allowing us to move from thought to thought, co-operate, and see errors. It is basically a shift-gear that transitions our attentions away from emotional events. An overactive anterior cingulate gyrus may will cause a person to get thoughts stuck in their head, worry excessively, upset easily, and obsess over things. The cause of an over-active anterior cingulate gyrus is low serotonin levels in the brain.

I’d don’t know your situation, but I’d imagine it’s tough watching other people get on with their lives. I’d advise you to look for other positive distractions in life.

quietlylost
    Participant

Change and transition can be hard for all people, but especially so if you have ADHD or are on the autism spectrum. We depend so much on stability to help us organize our minds and our lives. When things get disrupted or new stressors get added, it can throw us into chaos. It’s important to know this about ourselves so we can plan ahead for this. With these upcoming changes, are you planning to get additional support? Do you have a therapist? If not, it might be a good opportunity to get one. How have you negotiated changes in the past? What tools or strategies do you use to take care of yourself? Being kind to yourself and taking time to recharge will be especially important as you face these upcoming challenges.

What you experience is normal. What you experience can be survived. And what you will experience is temporary. Life typically settles down again. I think you’ve gotten enough experience in the past to know that. Just surround yourself with as much support as you can when you know these hard changes are coming up. I’m sure you can be successful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.