It started with phentermine

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Katjrv 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

mentalbabe
    Participant

Last November I took my first and only round of phentermine 45. The weight loss was not even half my benefits. Anxiety gone.Impulsivity gone.Constant ruminating gone.Hostility gone.A PA friend suggested I get tested for ADHD. I am. The search for medications has been not pleasant. Strattera was a foggy nightmare. Currently, Adderall xr 125 mg is the best so far,but still wandering around in my head most of the day.Any suggestion?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

If Adderall isn’t going well for you, it would stand to reason to try a methylphenidate next, so discuss that with your doctor.

Here’s more on ADHD medications:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

nephendius
    Participant

Hello. I went to my former doctor (a GP) with concerns of ADD, was assessed and diagnosed with ADD, and prescribed with Phentermine. The effects were astounding, for about three days, and then it stopped. I found out thereafter that the doctor wasn’t proscribing the Phentermine for ADD, but for weight loss and had lied to me. I live in central Arkansas and am having trouble finding ANYONE who has any interest in treating ADD in adults. What should I do? My old family doctor told me he doesn’t prescribe medication for ADD, considering all the stimulants to be nothing but “legal speed” and he won’t do that to me. I’m stuck. Everyone wants me to lose weight but I can’t remember that I am supposed to be dieting and exercising from moment to moment. I don’t know what to do.

alexxiscat
      Participant

Hey! Where do you live? If it’s in NW Arkansas I would go see Dr. Coker. If you were diagnosed with ADHD then you should be able to bring the paperwork to most doctors and get prescribed. Don’t be afraid to go to an Urgent Care Center, some of them will prescribe if you’re in between doctors. Just make sure you have your paperwork with the diagnosis! Also, if that diagnosis isn’t cutting it for whatever reason you could get diagnosed by a psychologist and then there should be no trouble at all.

G-Dude
      Participant

Everyone wants me to lose weight but I can’t remember that I am supposed to be dieting and exercising from moment to moment. I don’t know what to do.

I know this feeling oh so well

MOSpEdTeacher
    Participant

I started Phentermine 37.5mg yesterday (2/20) to aid in weight loss. However having had it two days, I do feel calmer, more relaxed, more alert, less stress and anxiety, and much more focused than I have been feeling lately. For example, I was so hyper focused that after teaching for 8 hours today, I was able to finish 1 IEP, start 2 others and completely finish them and respond to emails before heading home. (Lately after work, I’ve been heading home to relax because my anxiety and stress levels have been high.)

I have never been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder of any varying degree, however I have often wondered for many years if I did have ADHD, especially considering when I was a child it was suggested by my educators that I be placed on Ritilin (I was a child of the 90s).

However in taking this medication for less than 48 hours, I know the likelihood of it working that quick would be difficult, as it typically takes medication about 10 days to be absorbed into your bloodstream.

It should be noted that I am already experiencing the other side effect of insomnia. I slepted a total of about 2.5 hours last night, 4am to about 6:30, worked all day, and didn’t leave work until almost mid-night and I still feel wide awake. (However Tuesday I came home and slept from 6pm Tuesday until 7:30am Wednesday, and Wednesday 10:30am-12:30pm due to pure exhaustion.)

Have any others, aside from the individual who made the parent post, experienced being calmer, more focused, more alert, and decreased anxiety and stress while taking phentramine 37.5mg?

Thanks,
    MoSpEdTeacher

Katjrv
    Participant

Hi,

I actually DID experience that calming, focused effect. But I also experienced the insomnia at night and eventually started to be anxious and fidgety when on Phentermine.

I have been on and off of Phentermine for YEARS. Weight has always been a challenge and I first started taking it for that, but soon realized that when on it, I had a different kind of energy…kind of like an energized focus. It didn’t make me bounce off walls or anything, but it somehow gave the the energy and focus needed for me to get through my day with the kind of energy, focus, and drive that I had been lacking before. Eventually, I found that it started making me feel anxious and unable to relax.

When I stopped taking it, I found that I was almost dysfunctional and unable to summon the energy and focus that I had both when taking the Phentermine and even before taking the Phentermine. It’s as if I ended up with even less energy, focus, and drive than before I even started the meds. I thought it was a dependency that I had developed, but after some soul searching, realized two things:

1) the reason I continued with Phentermine was not for weight loss, but for that energy and focus.
    2) I’ve had issues with attention, task completion, punctuality, paperwork (literally, anything that involves completion and submission of paperwork), memory, as well as a severe emotional sensitivity to anything I deemed as “negative perspectives or vibes” being directed at me and some of the most severe negative feelings I’ve ever witnessed. (Based on comments from childhood friends, adults, and teachers, as well as from current/recent colleagues, bosses, and loved ones, my emotional responses tend to be on the more extreme side. I’ve also dealt with what I was repeatedly told was “anxiety and depression,” but now see it’s situational and correlates with my ability to focus and be productive).

Since accepting this realization, I’ve discussed it with both of my therapists, stopped taking Phentermine, and have seen a doctor who not only listened without judgment, but responded with prescribing Adderall. I’ve found that the Adderall definitely helps me focus and makes me much less fidgety than the Phentermine did. I feel driven and have a productive energy, not an anxious, almost uncontrollable energy. As long as I get the timing right, I don’t notice many issues with insomnia…but we’ll see if that changes.

Hope my experience helps and that you find something that works for you. Remember… we’re all different, so there’s not a “magic” answer. Sometimes, we need to do some trial and error to figure out what works best.

Best wishes and good luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.