It all makes sense now

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Spaceboy 99 5 months ago.

• Author

mhammond1127
    Participant

First off I am new to this forum but I wanted to share my own success story in hopes it helps someone else who has been struggling like me for way to long.

I’m 23 now but when I was a kid in elementary school I always went home with a note for my parents and it always said something like “Couldn’t follow directions, couldn’t stop talking while I’m talking, or was not paying attention during lessons.” I wasn’t a problem child I just couldn’t sit still or be quiet and my father and step mother never understood it. My stepmother had A.D.D but she never paid any attention to me enough to realize it wasn’t me acting out it was me just being me.

As time progressed I slowly distances myself from friends, or working in large groups for school because nobody understood me, they would point and laugh at me at any chance they got so in turn my grades suffered, much like elementary school. I never could bring home higher than a low C. I tried to talk to my father and step mother but they always said, “There’s nothing wrong with you, you just need to work harder and quit being a baby.”

Eventually I moved in with my mother and she did a lot of my homework just because she wanted me to graduate, she didn’t want me to drop out like she did and work a dead end job for the rest of my life. Needless did I know just that one person changed my life.

I finally graduated, and had already been working at a restaurant in town part time so Ieventually quit and worked a few jobs here and there but nothing ever stuck, I always got bad reviews at my jobs, I couldn’t stay in college because I was failing every class I was in and I was close to giving up…

Finally I got a job at a car dealership working in a detail department, they gave me a fighting chance and didn’t give up on me, they would point out what I was doing wrong and they way I was acting, so instead of giving up I wanted them to be proud of me and proud of the chance they gave me.

I had a routine check up at my doctors office a few weeks later and I mentioned all my past problems and work problems and he said, “Have you ever been tested for a learning disability?” I said no and he seemed very anxious for me to be tested so I took his test. It felt like hours went by to take a 25 question test but eventually I finished it and most of the questions I really understood. He came back in and said, “That’s why you’re struggling so badly with work or school. You have A.D.H.D.” I seriously cried not out of happiness but out of regret that I hadn’t said anything sooner. I could have made good grades, or kept all those jobs if I would have just known it wasn’t just me.

He started me on medication immediately and at first the next 3-5 days were a little rough trying to get used to the medication. But the following month my manager said, “I don’t know what you have done differently, but I’m beyond proud of you, you have turned into one of the best workers I have back here.” To this day I work for the same dealership but they moved me to their parts department and I caught on to everything in there within a few weeks and it took most others a few months and so far I’ve been told I’m doing a great job. Excuse the fact that I’m a little emotional while typing this, but to this day I’m more than happy to know that it’s not just me, and with a little hard work and being honest with my doctor, now I’m going somewhere and I’ve stayed with this one job for almost 2 years.

vcampos
    Participant

Hi, is great to read to success story, and that a lot of us are getting diagnosed and accomplishing goals. Keep it up 🙂
    I also believe (since I was diagnosed 2 months ago, i´m 35) the importance of making awareness and helping others to identify ADHD at a earlier stage, so other won´t have to struggle with the same things as we did

Spaceboy 99
    Participant

Hey there 🙂

Congratulations on your diagnosis! It’s always great to hear a medication success story like this.

Remember to try to not get too bogged down in ‘what might have been’. It’s an easy trap to fall down, and it can stop you from seeing the great things happening right in front of you.

Also, if you dropped out of college remember that if that’s the route you want to go down, you could always give it another go, or try evening classes to see if you can handle the academic workload before going ahead with the full college thing. Medication could make a lot of things that were really hard for you a whole hell of a lot easier 🙂

You keep doing you, and I wish you the very best of success in anything and everything you go on to do 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.