Issues at work :(

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      helen452
      Participant

I found a job that I love, people realized quickly that I’m not there standard of normal, I have been getting in trouble because I physically cannot remember things and my mind is jumping. I decided to tell my boss I had adhd 3 months ago, but have been in trouble again since, she is saying I can’t use adhd as an excuse. But I can’t help the way my mind is wired and I’m thinking about quitting.

Anni @ ADDitude
      Keymaster

H!
      I’m so sorry to hear about the challenges you’ve been facing at work. It’s rare to find a job that you truly love, so I would recommend investigating all of your options before making the decision to leave.

First, do some research on your legal rights at work here:

Is ADHD a Disability? Your Legal Rights at Work

Your Workplace Rights with ADHD

Next, gather up some strategies to help you overcome some of the ADHD-related executive dysfunctions you mentioned:
      https://www.additudemag.com/category/manage-adhd-life/getting-things-done/career-work/work-strategies/

Your Brain’s GPS Is Glitchy: Why Working Memory Fails and How to Bolster It

Your Executive Functions Are Weak. Here’s Why.

You might consider cognitive behavioral therapy to address some of these:

The Truth About Treating ADHD with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

And it’s smart to know your full range of treatment options:

ADHD in Adults: Your Guide to Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment

I hope this helps and isn’t too overwhelming!
      – Anni

Jesudota
      Participant

So sorry, perhaps you can give her a book about it

Dizzy
      Participant

I found a job that I love, people realized quickly that I’m not there standard of normal, I have been getting in trouble because I physically cannot remember things and my mind is jumping. I decided to tell my boss I had adhd 3 months ago, but have been in trouble again since, she is saying I can’t use adhd as an excuse. But I can’t help the way my mind is wired and I’m thinking about quitting.

Helen, at some point you were obviously qualified for the job..did they
      make a change that required you to remember additional tasks?

Short story: Back when I was 19 (41 years ago) I was living in a small town in
      Oregon, and desperately needed a job. I was offered a job cutting fire trail
      up in the mountains..paid good, so I took it.

Long story short, by lunchtime my lower back muscles were completely locked up,
      and I had to tell the foreman that I was finished. I was simply not physically
      capable of standing on that hillside and swinging that pick axe all day long.
      I loved the fresh mountain air, and would have enjoyed the work, but the body
      said “Nope”.

Problem was, I was completely out of shape. Had I had time to prepare for the
      job, I would have been doing high-altitude conditioning and exercises to strengthen
      my back.

I’m wondering if there might be some exercises you could do to strengthen your
      retention? Are these tasks that were discussed in a meeting, where you could
      take notes?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Dizzy.
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.