Is this what it feels like

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      somatic457
      Participant

Good afternoon. Hope you are all doing well amidst this pandemic.

I’m not sure if I am on the spectrum for adhd or add but a lot of things are falling into place now. I’m currently 33 years old. I was very hyperactive as a child, spilling things and could never sit still, it calmed down a lot in my teens and 20s although I was self medicating with weed and was also a bit depressed. Somehow managed to get through a degree, though.

But recently I have not been able to sit down to even do the things I enjoy doing and it’s getting worse. So I would like to ask if anyone else has the same experience when taking on a task.

Sit down, think ok let’s see this through, start to get very restless and feel some buzzing and a tightness in the forehead along side this comes a massive urge to stop doing the task or immediately divert to some numbing activity such as scrolling on the internet meaninglessly?

I also get very overwhelmed making decisions or organising simple things, even making a sandwich I start the task and then get lost in my thoughts and find myself pacing around the kitchen not quite knowing what happened. My mind is pretty much constantly working away from the moment my eyes close and when I rest.

Can anyone relate to this? Especially the feeling of restlessness?

Many thanks,

Stay safe

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Sounds like there could be some depression going on, which I imagine is true for countless people during the pandemic, even those who’ve never struggled with it before.

Or, could be a resurgence of hyperactivity since you’re not as active as you were before the pandemic?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

somatic457
      Participant

This has been going on for years, not just during the pandemic,

Thanks Penny

Chickster
      Participant

I must admit this is me at the moment. I have ADHD but this hasnt always been a big part of it (though I was very hyperactive as a child). At the moment (& probably always) Im starting things I dont finish & seem to be going around in circles all the time. I think its like a side effect of ADHD (which is traumatising without support). But you can read any of the ADHD books to see if the things they talk about rings any bells with you – it doesnt take long to see yourself there (or not). I dont mean to sound flippant but most of the main ones describe it in sufficient detail for you to be pretty sure.

There could be sme depression there too – the two go together because to be pefectly honest it is utterly sh*t having this. A lifetime of mistakes & judgement & wasted opportunities & potential not reached. Its hard on relationships & careers & frankly if I could press a button & make it go away I would. When life is this difficult for any length of time with no real hope of it being easy its a challenge to stay positive. People who havent got it will simply never know.

Being cooped up with not much exercise doesnt help either. Get some books on kindle (free app on iphone) – Russell Barkley & Daniel Amen are two well respected authors. Although rather annoyingly most of the resources out there are aimed at children. Because (sarcasm alert) the magic pixies come & take it away in adulthood.

One last thing. Be very careful who you tell, or discuss it with. Being open & talking about these things is quite ADHD but it WILL come back to bite you. Tell no one – trust me on that. They wont get it (you will be seen as making excuses) AND they will use it against you. If you think you have it book an appointment (via skype maybe) to get a diagnosis & treatment then at least thats one thing you will feel a little more on top of.

Gazettechan
      Participant

Just recently, my daughter told me she was diagnosed with ADHD. she said she cannot focus on one thing she thought then she has memory loss. Shes under medications now and it controls her hyperactivity. The current issue of coronavirus triggers her depression even more. Being her Mom, I’m worried about her situation since she lives too far from me.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Gazettechan.
      jackson1
      Participant

is it 100 % that she as exactly ADHD ?

tming2009
      Participant

After being diagnosed, I read every book, article, and resource I could find. When I came across “The Queen of Distraction”, it was as if the author had read my journal. It helps realize it’s not necessarily me, but my ADD can contribute to my challenges. I encouraged you to read it.
      Also, during this pandemic, I too feel restless and find myself going around in circles while working so hard and not getting things finished. I can relate to what your experiencing. In addition, I lack the motivation and energy to even do my creative out let’s, plus I feel guilty if I’m spending time doing what I enjoy when there are so many things that I should be doing.
      You are not alone, I’m extremely overwhelmed though out my day and struggle to carry out everyday tasks. Then I realize it’s my ADD and cut my self some slack. It made take longer and more effort to make the sandwich, but when I finish I focus on how good the sandwich tastes and I succeed, rather than the effort it took to make it.
      Hand in there and try to focus on one moment at a time instead of the overwhelming day at a time.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.