IS this side effect of Adderall

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child IS this side effect of Adderall

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      JBADHD
      Participant

My 7 yo grandson was prescribed Adderall 5mg Jan 31. The 2nd day he had a really bad day at school, crying uncontrollably about not having any friends, didn’t want to eat lunch in the cafeteria so teacher let him eat in her classroom hoping to get him calmed down which did take about an hour but then was okay. This last week of school on Wednesday,
      “spent the first hour and a half being upset over a broken eraser. He was angry and refused to talk for the first hour. After talking with me, he started sobbing. No one knows how the eraser was damaged but he was fixated on the possibility that someone did it on purpose. He admitted it was already broken when he last saw but it was broken in half. This was a big overreaction to an eraser. He’s still crying. For the second day in a row, hit his head against something because he was frustrated. Yesterday it was the door, today it was a table. I know he’s persevering and trying to do what’s expected, but he’s not handling frustration well” This is entire quotes from teacher.

The teacher is thinking it is a reaction to the Adderall and so does his dad, however his mom (divorced) told his dad at the parent exchange the night of the first outburst that she thinks the meds are helping and he had a good day that day?????.

Dad is ADD and was Ritalin and as he grew through the school years we never seen any of that type of behavior until puberty and then it was an entirely different ballgame. Not with outburst like that but other hormone issues. Thanks
      Concerned Grandma

isabelwren
      Participant

Hi, I’m sorry that you and you’re grandson are having a bit of a tough time. I’m not a doctor, but it could be the “crash” from the Adderall making him emotional or simply the drug itself, on top of the fact that he is a 7 year old. I’m assuming he was diagnosed with ADHD and thus put on the stimulants but I would urge you to be very cautious here. I personally think 7 years old is way too young to be on this drug. Your brain does not finish developing until your around 25, thus his brain is still very much in the developmental stage. I would honestly wait until he is older to put him on a medication but that’s just my 2 cents. Good luck and take care

JBADHD
      Participant

Dad doesn’t want his son on any medication as of yet. Because mom has custody she is the one that gave the okay for meds. From the beginning process of getting him diagnosed she kept saying she didn’t want him on meds so really don’t know the reason why she changed her mind.

Dad has a lot better control of routines, behavioral management, consistency than mom does so the behavioral problems mom has talked to the DR about are not anything like mom has. The school had up to being diagnosed and then put on meds seen inattentive, off task, blurting, talking too much, etc. what we think of as ADD behavior with inattentiveness. DR. is going with what mom says so now are trying to work with meds as best we can but the meltdowns at schools need to be managed thus the question is this Adderall or behavioral issues, we are all trying really hard not to blame mom, and not to blame the school to figure out if these issues that have surfaced are behavioral issues now surfacing at school.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s the Adderall. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. My son had this reaction to amphetamines as well — angry, vile, aggressive, and crying a lot. Totally out of character. He handled methylphenidate much better. The prescribing doctor needs to know about this behavior.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.