Is there any estimated # or % of folks who are not yet diagnosed for LPD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums ADDitude Webinars June 14 Webinar: Language Processing Deficits in Children with ADHD Is there any estimated # or % of folks who are not yet diagnosed for LPD?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gail Richard 6 hours, 54 minutes ago.

• Author

cshicks13
    Participant

Hi:
    I recently listened to a webinar on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). The expert stated that only about 5% of folks with FASD are diagnosed. Very few people have the classic FASD facial features as the Mom has to be drinking alcohol during a 3 day window. I guess the rest of FASD affected folk just struggle through life as best they can with their varying severities of learning disabilities, early onset of addictions and mental health issues. I wonder how many people diagnosed with ADHD and things like Language Processing Deficits actually also have FASD?

Gail Richard
    Participant

I don’t believe we have an good estimate, but in doing research for the second edition of The Source for ADD/ADHD with Dynamic Resources, we looked at co-morbidity for various other disorders within ADD/ADHD. There was a range reported in various research articles, but 30-60% of individuals with ADHD also have a learning disability. Most of the time, the source of the learning disability is based in language deficits that are undiagnosed. Research also reported a range of 25-40% of individuals who had a diagnosed communication disorder, often in the area of processing. So the research suggests that almost 50% of the time, there is a co-morbid issue of language deficits underlying the learning challenges that student with ADHD contend with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.