Is pain a side effect?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Is pain a side effect?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      The Cat Lady
      Participant

Hello. I was hoping to gain some insight from others who may have gone through the same thing. I’ve tried several different long-acting medications along with Adderall IR – Vyvanse, Mydayis, and Adderall XR, which I am currently taking. Consistently, I end up with super achy, tense muscles, mostly in my shoulders and neck, and on worse days, intense nerve pain in my neck/jaw/base of the skull. Chronic headaches. Sometimes the pain is just there; sometimes, it is debilitating. There were a few times when I did not take the long-acting meds, for 1-3 days, and there was no pain whatsoever. So I’m pretty darn certain that the pain is caused by a long-acting med. My doctor literally said that she doesn’t think the long-acting meds are causing my pain. This has gone on for over a year and a half; I’ve been to physical therapy, pain management, a neurologist, had to have trigger point injections into my jaw… I asked my pain management doctor about what this could possibly be stemming from and she told me that they were pretty stumped. Is this a pretty common “side effect”? It’s not listed as one; only motor tics, but I don’t really have anything of the sort. Does anyone have an explanation? Has experienced something similar? It really sucks. I’m in quite a bit of pain, on a daily basis, and I do not want to manage it with narcotics. Already been down that road, and back.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

All the meds you listed as tried are amphetamine based stimulants. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.Sounds like you could do better with methylphenidates, but you have to try them to know.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

The Cat Lady
      Participant

I haven’t tried methylphenidate mainly because of a Gene test that I did, which showed which medications would be more compatible with my genetic profile; methylphenidate was listed as being not as effective as amphetamines. I’ve had a great response to them some of the time, so I assumed methylphenidate wouldn’t work for me. I’m currently in the process of titrating my dosage. I haven’t found any other common denominators which could be causing this, aside from long-acting amphetamines. I will ask my doctor about it nonetheless.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.