Is lithium contributing to this?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is lithium contributing to this?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      onaverylongpath
      Participant

So, I went to a neurologist and he said that part of my fidgeting and attention symptoms were because of long term (18ish years?) exposure to Lithium Carbonate ER. This sounded very incorrect to me, especially because he said a bunch of other really stupid sounding things afterward. I’ve never been advised by anyone prescribing Lithium Carbonate that long term exposure could lead to fidgeting problems and ADHD seems so so so much more likely.

But, I know this is complicated, and after all, every medication slip says “may not cover all side effects ask a Dr.”

Thanks,
      onaverylongpath

Kerplunk
      Participant

I’ve been on Lithium much longer than that and “hand tremors” are a listed side effect, however I thought this was if the toxicity of Lithium (the level) got to high. Have you been getting regular blood tests ? Maybe clarify – if it’s longevity or lithium level.

onaverylongpath
      Participant

Hi Kerplunk. Every mental health professional and doctor agrees my blood levels are normal, and my extremely tiny hand tremor is okay. It has stayed the same through my entire time I’ve been on it. The neurologist who said this to me also said I should not change my dose or regiment.

I haven’t gotten regular blood tests. A psychiatrist said that once a year testing should be fine at this point, and… I guess I’m due for that. I’m guessing it’ll show the same “a-ok normal” because my bipolar symptoms continue to be gone year after year.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.