Is it trichotillomania or just fidgeting

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Is it trichotillomania or just fidgeting

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Whatmom 5 days, 4 hours ago.

• Author

Ranma
    Participant

I fidget with with many things, my keys, coins, clicker pens (really annoys people) plastic ring from a soda bottle.
    But the one that got a co-worker of mine upset was my hair twirling, she said her daughter does it and pulls out her hair.
    But I rarely do it when I’m upset, I do it a lot though when I’m concentrating, reading or watching the idiot box, but I never pull it out.
    At first I thought “great! Another disorder to throw on the pile” but I think it’s just fidgeting.

Anyone else?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

I believe trichotillomania requires pulling the hair out. Just twirling seems more like fidgeting.

Hair Pulling! Skin Picking! Nail Biting! Oh, My!

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Ranma
    Participant

From what I’ve read, that seemed to be the case, when I think about the times I do it, it’s usually when I have nothing else to fidget with.
    I think I’ll finally invest in some bespoke fidget toys.
    Thanks

Whatmom
    Participant

It’s only fidgeting if you aren’t pulling it out.
    Tell coworker you’re sorry for whoever it is that they know with trich but that you can do what you like with your own hair and they should shut their judgemental yapper right the heck up.
    Seriously.
    Why get more fidget toys when you have the perfect one connected to your head all the time?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.