Is it possible to get a "vacation holiday" as an ADHD adult?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is it possible to get a "vacation holiday" as an ADHD adult?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Lewis 8 months ago.

• Author

DQSoul
    Participant

Greetings everyone!

I’m a 27 year old male who recently restarted treatment for combined type ADHD (I was diagnosed at 7 years old but due to family determinations wasn’t started on stimulants until at my adulthood was pretty obvious I always needed them). I’ve been taking 10mg Ritalin three times a day for the past 2 years and must say it has been life changing, however, I’ve been thinking if Ritalin and the other stimulants will become a companion for life? I’ve tried not taking my meds for a couple of days and not only I’ve become utterly distracted and inefficient, I also feel like I’ve been drained of all my energy and sleepy all the time (which also happened before I was started on stimulants) is a meds vacation or even something that looks like a full recovery as an adult? Or should I just accept the chronicity of this condition?

Thanks beforehand for the answers and really really thanks a lot for this space

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by  DQSoul.
    • This topic was modified 8 months ago by  DQSoul.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

ADHD is a lifelong condition because it’s a physiological difference in the brain. Some individuals with ADHD find that they develop enough coping mechanisms and strategies that they can live well without medication. Many need medication throughout life.

Stimulants: Short-Term Fix? Or Lifelong Drug?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

KIM
    Participant

Hello,

I did a medication holiday when I went to the beach. The doctor said it was fine. The first 3 days, I slept more, but then it seemed to be okay. Ultimately, I went back on the medicine. If your doctor says it’s okay, perhaps try it during a period when you don’t need to be as mentally alert.

cheers and good luck!

Aaron Lewis
    Participant

I’m currently not on my medication as I’m waiting for my new insurance card to arrive. Once I get the insurance card, I’ll be taking my medication again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.