Is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy part of ADHD treatment?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy part of ADHD treatment?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TooOldForThis
      Participant

I’m going to seek therapy for my adult ADHD again. I have read a lot of good things about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Is CBT one way to get one’s ADHD symptoms under control? Or is ADHD therapy and CBT two different types of treatment?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

CBT is one type of behavioral therapy. It is a great choice for adults with ADHD.

Listen to “How Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Unlocks Positivity and Productivity for Adults with ADHD” with J. Russell Ramsay, Ph.D.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jackh25
      Participant

It can be, but if you don’t get good results right away, remember that every therapist is different, and it’s possible you might not find someone you click with right away.

In my experience, the people I’ve seen haven’t provided enough structure for me. They would give me ideas of what to do, but not follow up with me on how to actually implement them. I don’t know if I ever vocalized that to them, though, and it probably would have helped if I had been able to communicate that to them effectively. Of course, my ADHD made it difficult for me to figure out exactly how I would go about that… At that point, maybe it’s just luck of the draw?

Anyway, I figure it’s important to communicate as clearly as possible with your therapist, and to put a lot of effort into the entire process.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.