inattentive adhd. what meds are best

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD inattentive adhd. what meds are best

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lucas5452 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Lucas5452
    Participant

Im a 19 year old male with inattentive type adhd. Is there a medication or treatment from your experience that is best suited to treat this type?

bucklipe
    Participant

I have been through a bevy of meds.
    Many of them were quite un-helpful.
    My psychiatrist was less than convinced that there was an “Inattentive” variant of ADD.
    His “go to” fixit med was Ritalin, Adderall or some other version of the usual stimulants.
    Unfortunately those stimulants over-stimulated another part of my brain and that turned me “ash hole-ish” and I was quite impatient with people.
    So much so that people were asking my wife if I was OK?
    Due to his inability to acknowledge my “Inattentive ADD” I changed doctors and was prescribed Nuvigil.
    It worked well but gave me a tendency to talk too much (could be seen as “Mania” but since I can suppress it, it poses no problem).
    Provigil worked better and is what I’m taking today (less tendency to be over chatty).

tjp3176
    Participant

Ive presentlty 41 and ive been on Dexadrine (take 3-30mg in am )for 17 years now, it brings my world together.
    I may have 10 things started, but i eventually finish them, my time management is better, and though i still get distracted its mot as bad.
    Ive lost my meds in the past and on day two my world falls appart, its like having a million banker boxes dumped on the ground in front of me and i have to sort them all. With dexadrine im able to function as the best i can with adhd in the real world.
    There are alot of different typesd of meds that all work differently for different people, dexadrine is a controlled substance, not a narcotic. Hopefully you have a good family doctor who can “trial& error” medication that best suits you.
    Good luck,
    Tammy Payne

Mama@ 5~HERBS
    Participant

Good for you that you have posed this question to find something better. I am also inattentive and have had great luck with the Daytrana patch, which although it is methylphenidate, it is delivered transdermally – through the skin – and better for me than oral since it bypasses the stomach. I was always nauseous and “growly” on Methylphenidate in pill form. The patch is a little bit hard to figure out, but once you do*,it is super easy. (*Fold a crease in each section of the backing to give you a handle of sorts to grab and pull back and also to help smooth the patch onto your skin.)

I also use Trintellix for depression. This combo seems to keep me focused and happy. And my family jokes with me by singing “Mama put your patch on…patch on, patch on.” I give it 20 minutes to kick in and I am suddenly productive and organized – and not feeling the fog of ADHD as though I am completely unable to sift through my life chores and get the most pressing things done.

Good luck. The process of finding the right meds is so hard and frustrating but worth it to find the best for you!

xo

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

There is no “best medication” for one type of ADHD or the other. Because an individual’s experience with each medication depends on their metabolism, genetics, and neurotransmitter levels, every single person has a different need from ADHD medications.

You can read about that in more detail, with additional facts that will help you in your medication journey, here:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Lucas5452
    Participant

Thank you all for the insight. Much appreciated

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.