Improved mood, but not much attention

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Improved mood, but not much attention

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      unverified
      Participant

So, this is my first time on stimulants without being on other medications, which has been a major improvement. Unfortunately, the providers I have seen are not very experienced with treating adult ADHD, so their approaches have more or less been shooting in the dark.

So far, two issues I’ve run into with both Adderall XR and IR generic.
      1. Neither last very long at all, XR lasts 2-3 hours and then dips into a sedation type feeling, similar to xanax. IR lasts about 1-2 hours until I just feel downright tired.
      2. They both improve my mood, but neither seem to help focus. If anything, it makes it harder to step away from whatever I’m interested in.

Not sure if anyone has had this experience before, I’m trying to have a more educated approach to the next step of treatment rather than the guessing game that I seem to be on.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by unverified.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You could simply need a dosage adjustment or a medication overhaul. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. If you’ve only tried Adderall, it may be time to try a methylphenidate and see if you have more luck with that.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Medication alone isn’t enough. You also have to work on skills and strategies to help:

Your Free Guide to ADHD Coping Mechanisms

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.