Im so fed of never being able to push through

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Im so fed of never being able to push through

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      banjaxed
      Participant

It makes me so sad that im never able to push through, even if im interested in a certain subject. As soon as it gets a little difficult i give up. I really want to be able to learn new things. Does the medication help with this? I got my ADHD diagnosis about a 3 weeks ago.

anne_harding
      Participant

The medication does help. What has helped me SO much is the Pomodoro method–basically, having a timer and working for 25-minute chunks of time with 5 minute breaks between. I even give myself 25 minutes to focus on certain life tasks. You can get a lot done in even just one 25-minute chunk! For me, the timer helps me get down to work, and keep working. I used to quit working when it got boring or became uncomfortable or I finished a specific task, but being guided by the timer forces me to work for just a bit longer and wrap up loose ends. There are definitely times when I’m engrossed in a task or on deadline and I skip the 5-minute break. Maybe just start by telling yourself you will give yourself one block of time every weekday to work on that topic that interests you? Then stop when the time is up, which will leave you with some energy for it and interest the next day. I think our attention can become so intense but burns itself out easily, but just a quick break can be enough to recover.

banjaxed
        Participant

Ive heard about the pomodoro method. I even downloaded the app and felt it would be fun to try, but never tried it yet (6 months since i downloaded the app) 🙂 My therapist gave me a TimeTimer to use, but once i got it, the red surface widnt move. Im going to ask for a new one. Once im focused its easy for me to hyperfocus for 10-12 hours, but makes me really tired. The contrast between some tasks are huge. When i find a new interest i do alot of research on it, buying books that i intend to read (but never do) etc. Then its all i can think of in 3 weeks perhaps, then i loose interest in it. I started to draw the house i grew up in as a kid (25 years ago) and it was really fun. So sad to loose interest when its something you really like and enjoy doing. Frustrating never being able to be really good at something. Not sure when i will get my medicin. I was told after summer, perhaps in september. “you have been able to wait until now, then you can push it until then”. The thing is that ive really pushed myself to make it this far. I have a a few friends with ADHD and theyve told me that their medication gave them a new life. That sounds so good. I really hope that the medicin works on me. Do you take any medication and wich one? how does it affect you?

banjaxed
        Participant

I think i would try to get more done before the timer goes off. Im gonna give it a go.

Sonia95.UK
      Participant

I found that the forset app was helpful, and also using different mindmaps/ talking through questions etc helped alot more. The app allows you to edit breaks to your specs time etc. 🙂

banjaxed
        Participant

Thank you, Sonja, ill look into it! I want to make my own application to help me and others with ADHD. Not sure how yet though. Almost finished a simple one for OCD.

banjaxed
        Participant

oh, you ment the one when you plant a tree?

Sonia95.UK
      Participant

That’s the one! Sounds good, let me know if you make one it would be so helpful! 🙂

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

CBT and EMDR therapies work on being able to push through difficult tasks and discomfort. It’s a common issue for those with ADHD, but one that you can improve. I do think meds can help with that as well, but they don’t just turn it off. It’s a pattern of behavior that is developed.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

banjaxed
      Participant

Thanks for your reply. Is it common to be very illogical? Its like im not able to think logical.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by banjaxed.
      47yrsandadhd
      Participant

Meds changed my life. It took one increase and I can focus, start and finish projects, actually think one thought, the shame I felt most of my life I don’t feel. I’ve been misdiagnosed with other disorders so I’ve tried other meds but never had success obviously. Super thankful I gave meds a chance.

banjaxed
      Participant

I really can’t wait to get my medicine. Not sure how I’m gonna be able to wait. I have so many different sounds around me and the only time I can relax is with my noise cancelling headphones. Please tell the medication helps for that as well. I’m near a breakdown.

Yarlan Zey
      Participant

I wrote this a few weeks ago:

“Some say people with ADHD are interest-based, rather than importance-based. This means that you should focus on how to make things more interesting for you, rather than focusing on how important those things are.

I’ve learned a lot of things in the following way. First perhaps I’ll get hold of a book about a subject. I’ll start reading it. Soon enough I’ll probably get bored. Then maybe I’ll download a few podcasts of people talking about the subject. Then that gets boring. Perhaps I’ll find another book. Then that gets boring, or even annoying lol. Maybe I can find a documentary about the subject. After that, the first book I got hold of has become interesting to me again, and so on.”

But I still struggle with this problem somewhat. I think a big reason for my difficulties is that I have mood swings. I recently had a negative mood swing and it really put me off going back to things I was doing. Part of me probably blames what I was doing for the mood swing, even though in reality what I was doing had little or nothing to do with the mood swing.

I’m just not a very consistent person. On the other hand I have a wide range of interests. A “normal” person is probably much more consistent but also has much narrower interests, and relies on external “importance” rather than internal “interest”.

Anyway, hope that rambling helps in some way lol.

banjaxed
        Participant

It was good reading. I will probably read it again to make sure i got all you said. As a kid I never kept to just one sport. I had to try it all. Same with other interests. Sometimes I get stuck in a “bad circle” with stuff I’m interested in. It’s like I can’t stop reading about it. If I would have practiced it as well, I would be really good 🙂

Yarlan Zey
      Participant

That reminds me of me a little. For a few years I was really interested in martial arts but probably did more reading than practice. Maybe if I had started as a kid I could have gone somewhere with it. On the other hand, sports, martial arts and so can be hard on the body. Gentler exercise may be better in the long term.

It’s funny when people are surprised at all the stuff I know. I always think, well, I wish I was good as you at all the “ordinary” stuff people take for granted lol.

KIM
      Participant

Hi! The medications helped me, perhaps at about 40%. I find that most of my issues are behavioral, so the medication didn’t help as much as I thought it would. I agree with Penny – CBT helped me the most. Until you can get medication, focus on CBT because you’ll still need to do it with meds most times. You want it to be second nature. 🙂

Good luck!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.