I’m really concerned about my 7yo behaviour

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline I’m really concerned about my 7yo behaviour

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      truenorth
      Participant

My 7yo’s behaviour is getting worse. I took him to the Dr at 6 and was told essentially that boys will be boys. Siblings squabble. Etc. He’s removed from the classroom 2-3 times a week. He is disruptive in the classroom multiple times a day and argues with his teacher, often refusing to do work. He lashes out at his siblings. He frequently flips out on me saying horrible things. He’s extremely hyperactive, often just jumping in place. He lacks impulse control. Yesterday he punched his little brother in the face. He often says such terrible things to his little brother and my heart breaks. No little boy should have to hear those things. Took him back to the doctor last fall and finally the doctor referred him to a paediatrician. That doctor put him on meds for a month trial. It helped a little. He’s wasn’t as explosive. But he was loosing a lot of weight, hyper focusing on activities, like building LEGO for 5 hours or working on an art project. But he’d go be alone and not spend any time with us while doing it. And he couldn’t sleep even though we gave it to him early in the morning. At like 11pm, we’d wake up to him organizing the shoe shelf or sorting his LEGO or packing school lunches. So his doctor decided to remove him from the meds and recommend we go to counselling. We’ve been there before. Everything that was recommended, we or the school were already doing with him. I feel helpless. He’s so angry and explosive. Everyone in the house is his victim. And it’s just heartbreaking that he feels so bad himself. Being in Canada, getting a second opinion is hard. I just don’t know what to do next. Any advice?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by truenorth.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

I think you have to get a 2nd opinion. The doctor is not listening to your concerns. Can you take him to a psych for a thorough evaluation?

You shouldn’t have to live with aggressive behavior, nor should your son. He wants to do well.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mamasue
        Participant

There are many different medications to choose from. If the first one wasn’t tolerable because of the side effects try a different med. Weight loss and sleep issues are common with the meds too, so he just had normal side effects. Encourage him to eat throughout the day even if he’s not “hungry” or add a highly nutritious shake?

eratz217
      Participant

I would ask if there is another med your son can try. There are many out there and every child can show differnt responses to meds. You have to find the one that works best for him. The physical and emotional abuse is not good for anyone. I read a book called the Explosive Child that was helpful to gain a general approach to dealing with it but I found medication is very helpful in addition to counseling. It is difficult because you have to really push to get what you need but you and your children will be netter in the long run for it.

Angelacawein
      Participant

I am not a doctor but have been there. I have 4 children, 3 boys and a daughter. My son’s 28, 24 and 15 years old. My 15 year old son is ADHD and ODD. He has been on medication since he was 2 years old. My son did the same things you mentioned. He takes Adderall and Risperdone. It has not been an easy task but has gotten better the older he gets. Not sure how things work in Canada but you need to tell the school, you want your child tested. After that an IEP or section 504 this will help with behavior and educational problems. My oldest son is ADHD and has tourettes, my 24 year old son, ADHD either one of them had the ODD. My son that is ADHD and ODD is a freshman in high school. I went to teacher-parent conference at the beginning of the year. His teachers said to me, they thought my son had an attitude problem. Why they thought that, he always has a straight face. He hardly ever smiles. I informed them that he has always been like that. Drives me crazy, I would ask him several times a day, “are you ok” “is some thing wrong” “are you feeling ok” he would get mad at me and say why do you ask the same questions day after day. You might try to find sometime when it is you and him and ask him how he feels and why he does the things he does. I know that my son didn’t respond like most children would when it came to discipline. Time outs, grounding him, take things away I was about to give up. We negotiate everything, I get what I want and so does he.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.