I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sebastian
      Participant

I was diagnosed when I was much younger. I am 40 now.
      I feel very hesitant, if it’s worth it to go through the trouble of getting a medication.
      It’s such a hit and miss, inexact science, and I’m afraid of the side effects. I’ve taken rittalin and cylert and the last time I took adderall I had no patience and had a raging immediate temper.

For the longest time, I thought mania/bipolar was the problem but even at times I feel like I have no manic symptoms, I still have add and anxiety.

The thought of going to a doctor and trying to explain what’s taken me years get a grasp on, is intimidating and overwhelming.

I feel torn between 2 truths.
      One is, I don’t believe in psychiatric medicine being the only fix..a true fix. I’ve experienced benefits from elimination diets, omega 3’s, Lithium Orotate (over the counter), GABA and other natural remedies. But it never lasts long enough, or the benefits aren’t completely clear with no road map, other than my own feelings. I end up eating foods I shouldn’t or not be able to stick to the diet.
      So I come to the 2nd truth, or conclusion which is, I don’t believe I will ever fix this with my half assed natural approach with no guidance or road map.

I feel very undecided and a bit afraid of going forward with something like this.

Has anyone else felt the same way?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Sebastian. Reason: -topic tag
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Penny Williams.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like you might benefit from seeing an Integrative/Functional Meds doctor. They combine Western medicine and holistic medicine and will work with you on supplements and such.

If you need help, don’t be afraid to go to a doctor and ask for help. You may need to visit a couple and see who makes you most comfortable.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.