im not allowed 2 do anything!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD im not allowed 2 do anything!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

maz
    Participant

so im 16 years old.
    So im not allowed to go outside by myself and since i moved city i dont have any friends here, so cant go out with anyone aswell, this is before quarantine aswell btw, i think its a cultrul thing.

Im just so bored and dont know what to do, ive spoken to them but they wont budge so anyone any help plz lol

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Your parents are trying to protect you, but we often inadvertently hold our kids back when doing so. Sit down with your parents and ask what it will take for you to be able to go out and explore and meet people, after the pandemic, of course. Try to have a collaborative conversation by voicing why this is important to you and listening to the reasons for their perspective. Proposing a checkin every hour or the like might help.

Maybe they don’t want you out in the city alone but will be ok with it once you make a new friend. If that’s the case, pose some ideas on how you can meet people that they will feel comfortable with, like joining a club or team or taking some sort of lessons with a group element (like martial arts, for instance).

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

maz
    Participant

wow! sounds really good, im going to do that, thanks alot!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.