I think my child has ADHD, but his Dr and teachers think otherwise.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents I think my child has ADHD, but his Dr and teachers think otherwise.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bkitchin1 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

thomasmargie
    Participant

My husband has already shared our story in length, so I’ll keep it short.
    tl;dr we suspect our son, 3rd grade, to have ADHD or another issue. He’s a super smart kid, has no problem with his homework, and is great when it comes to games. However, he has some severe issues with hyperactivity (never sits still), bad memory (always forgets things), and lacks basic capabilities like tying a knot or handwriting in a readable way.
    I’m bipolar, and we’re afraid it has affected him. Moreover, we’re afraid that it might get worse if we don’t treat him now. His Dr and teachers think he’s fine, but we’re worried. Did any of you have a similar experience? Do you think it might be ADHD or any other issue?

My husband’s full story (and the comments he got) is here: kroovi.com/d/30162-i-think-my-child-has-something-like-adhd-but-his-dr-and-teachers-think-otherwise-am-i-crazy-or-should-fight-for-him-to-get-help

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Sometimes, as a parent, you have to follow your gut and keep pursuing something you feel strongly about, even when others are dismissive.

Have you tried an online self-test like this one:

[Self-Test] Could Your Child Have ADHD?

Results on these aren’t the same as evaluation and diagnosis, but they can signal if you’re possibly on the right track or not.

Here’s everything you need to know about ADHD evaluations:

ADHD in Children: Symptoms, Evaluations, Treatments

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

bkitchin1
    Participant

trouble with tying knots/shoelaces can be a symptom of dyslexia
    writing can be dysgraphia
    you can be super smart with add
    try earlier bedtime/check for snoring
    no electronics 1 hour before sleep
    go to dr. amen’s website for supplements to help i.e. fish oil
    if teacher’s say ok – then may be light add
    ususally a boy with add is driving us crazy – out of seat, talking, touching others, etc.
    so wonder why no probs at school?
    sports help, nutrition and early bedtime
    good luck

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.